Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Golite Borrego Windstopper Softshell Jacket?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Golite Borrego Windstopper Softshell Jacket?

Postby Liquid Shadow » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:25 pm

Just wondering if anybody has experience with the Golite Windstopper Softshell:

http://www.golite.com/Ms-Borrego-Windstopper-Softshell-Jacket-P46649.aspx

I'm looking for a hooded softshell jacket for couloir climbing and general mountaineering. Seems like a great deal.

Re: Golite Borrego Windstopper Softshell Jacket?

Postby Econrecon » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:41 pm

I started buying a few of their items about 2 years ago...a few shirts, hiking pants and shorts, etc. There seemed to be a reoccurring theme of the stitching coming out and the down jacket for my wife lost more feathers than normal. The Boulder store has been helpful in replacing the items when they had them in stock but I have been disappointed in the durability and general manufacturing quality.

I did buy this jacket and have to say that so far the quality is great and my only complaint is that the collar in the front is a bit stiff...aggravating my neck some. Good in the wind as intended and very warm.

Hope this helps.

Postby GregMiller » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:30 pm

I have it, and have been happy with it so far. Haven't had any problems, but I've ony had it about a month and a half, so I can't really say I've given it out it through all it's paces, but it seems to get the job done. I'm 5'8" and the medium seems to fit me well.

Just don't let Bean catch you calling it a softshell. :lol:
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

Postby pvnisher » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:56 pm

Good sale price for hood and the mandatory pit zips.
Step it up to the mammut ultimate hoody for some more cash, but for the price that piece looks killer.

Postby Liquid Shadow » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:12 pm

I also saw that Mountain Hardwear just came out with their new Isomer Softshell jacket:

http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Men%27s-Isomer%E2%84%A2-Jacket/OM5179,default,pd.html

Being a huge MHW fan, I would also like to wait for some reviews on this jacket. No pit zips though like the Golite. What do you guys think?

Postby winmag4582001 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:02 pm

I just bought a TNF Radish midlayer jacket and it's the best light jacket I've personally ever owned. Can't say enough good about it. Only complaint is that the thumb holes are a little small. I was on Mt. Sherman in mid January when the actual temp was -34, and all I had on my upper body was a HH Warm base layer, TNF Radish midlayer and TNF Mountain Light outer jacket. Stayed warm.

http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/sc-gear/mens-jackets-vests-filter-category-fleece/men-39-s-radish-mid-layer-jacket.html

NOTE.. These are a compression jacket. If you consider buying one, make sure you try one on before ordering it.
"Remember, you're unique, just like everybody else."-Joel Bernardini