Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Saturday 2/9

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?
User avatar
Posts: 377
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:18 pm
Location: Erie, CO

Saturday 2/9

Postby awilbur77 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:32 pm

Ive been flip flopping all week on doing Antero or Humboldt on Saturday. The *interesting* forecast this weekend makes it sound like a challenge. Anyone interested in joining me on either of these on Saturday?

I generally hike moderate pace, but I do slow down a bit on the uphill at times. I also tend to try to enjoy my time out there rather than rushing to a summit and back to the Jeep.

Shoot me a PM if interested.
"Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing." - Hellen Keller
http://www.summitrounder.com

Re: Saturday 2/9

Postby lafutura » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:49 am

if it helps you any, i just posted a peak conditions report from humboldt today.

User avatar
Posts: 377
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:18 pm
Location: Erie, CO

Re: Saturday 2/9

Postby awilbur77 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:34 pm

Thanks, that is where I am headed!
"Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing." - Hellen Keller
http://www.summitrounder.com

Re: Saturday 2/9

Postby lafutura » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:03 am

i look forward to hearing how it works out for you, especially with the oncoming change in weather. hopefully you can make good use of our trail!

Posts: 222
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:31 pm

Re: Saturday 2/9

Postby IkeB » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:05 am

Keep it packed down! Looks like I am headed there Monday.

User avatar
Posts: 377
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:18 pm
Location: Erie, CO

Re: Saturday 2/9

Postby awilbur77 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:55 pm

lafutura wrote:i look forward to hearing how it works out for you, especially with the oncoming change in weather. hopefully you can make good use of our trail!


The weather was a mixed bag. Started great, but when I got to 13,000 ft. or so, Humboldt unleashed some fury on me. Snow, wind (40-50mph), blowing snow, and wind chills estimated at -15 to -20. I ended up turning back at around 13,800 or 13,900 in whiteout conditions due to losing all feeling if both my hands, even though I was using windstopper gloves with BD Mercury Mitts. Then as if to laugh at me, when I got back down to 12,900 or so the sun came out and it was nice for an hour or so. Then from the treeline all the way back to the Jeep it was snowing (lightly though).

Sounds ridiculous, but I've been turned back on Humboldt 3 times (all in winter). Once on Xmas eve 2011 where I decided to give a gift to a group going the next day by building a trench to the treeline from the winter road closure after a foot of snow or more had dumped the previous day. Once 4 days after that where I encountered 70 mph winds at the treeline and decided to bail, and now today. Humboldt is clearly my nemisis mountain.

I did get an awesome sunrise picture from the treeline though.

IMG_8181-001.JPG
IMG_8181-001.JPG (31.03 KiB) Viewed 207 times
"Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing." - Hellen Keller
http://www.summitrounder.com

Re: Saturday 2/9

Postby lafutura » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:21 pm

wow! that *is* a great picture. we weren't anywhere near out of the trees when the sun was rising. :(

did you at least find our trench, i hope?

amazing that we pretty much had idea weather just two days before...i guess humboldt is trying to torture you somehow!

User avatar
Posts: 377
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:18 pm
Location: Erie, CO

Re: Saturday 2/9

Postby awilbur77 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:52 am

I did find the trench, and thank you! I would've never have made it as far as I did without the trail breaking you guys did.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: homerun_j_p, neharathore and 7 guests