Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

LCW Gathering III - February 9-10

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: LCW Gathering III - February 9-10

Postby Brian Thomas » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:38 pm

My revised itinerary:

I am driving in with DanR and meeting globreal and Waggs at the Spruce Grove TH at 10am Saturday. We will backpack in to Hankins Pass, set up camp, and make an on the ground decision of what peak(s) to attempt that afternoon based on conditions. I would like to wake up reasonably early on Sunday and get 1 peak before packing out (DanR needs to be back in Boulder that afternoon). The Catamount may or may not be in the cards for me this weekend.

That said, for those of you who plan to daytrip this, I don't know what peak(s) will be on the agenda for Sunday late morning / afternoon :?:
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan

Postby Derek » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:16 am

Brian Thomas wrote:My revised itinerary:

I am driving in with DanR and meeting globreal and Waggs at the Spruce Grove TH at 10am Saturday. We will backpack in to Hankins Pass, set up camp, and make an on the ground decision of what peak(s) to attempt that afternoon based on conditions.

Sounds like with my expected arrival time, I'll be following 30 minutes or so behind you headed up to camp. Be sure to make a good path for me to poach. 8)

Not sure if you fellas were interested, but Lizard Rock is a nifty little area on the way about 2 or so miles in, just before you take a right towards Hankins Pass. Its up and to the left of the trail...its on the maps. Can't miss it. Clay and I tried to summit it last winter, but couldn't find a way up. I have a little bit of new information, I may want to try again on the way up. Probably would only add 15-20 minutes to the trip to Hankins.
"I used to think my Dad was Elvis. But I haven't told him that yet. I haven't told my Dad either." -S. Murdoch
LOJ

Postby globreal » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:30 pm

Soooo, who is going to brave the snow and come out for this tomorrow or Sunday? There were 11 people people who posted as possibly coming, plus the 4 of us Brian mentioned above.

Brian's initial post was "Hello calendar WINTER people." I guess it's going to act like winter this weekend.

SATURDAY: A slight chance of snow before 11am, then snow likely after 11am. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 31. South southwest wind 5 to 8 mph becoming west in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.

SUNDAY: A 30 percent chance of snow. Cloudy, with a high near 25. Wind chill values as low as -9. Northwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light north in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 17 mph. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.

So, anybody else in?

Also, for the Sunday day trippers....and having never been in this area, I may follow Steve Gladbach's backcountry tricks and hang occasional bright pink streamers on trees along the way to mark our route, in case our tracks get snow covered. Those of you coming in on Sunday, you'll know you are following our route in if you see these. But please leave them and we'll take them down on our way out. Thanks.
...but these are written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.
~John 20:31

Postby Brian Thomas » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:15 pm

globreal wrote:So, anybody else in?

In addition to our 4, Derek +2 will be packing in just behind us for the overnight, and there are 3 daytrippers for Sunday that I know of.

And by the way, winter backpacking to hike 14ers is totally played out now that everybody's chasing snowflakes. Winter backpacking to hike 11ers is for the elite, the chosen, the truly hardcore \:D/
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan

Postby Derek » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:29 pm

Also, I have an extra 2 person 4 season tent if someone wants to borrow it. Let me know and I'll bring it to the TH. I seem to recall being short a couple stakes, so if you want to borrow it you may want to bring a few along.

See you folks later.

--D

Postby Derek » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:32 pm

Oh. And if any day hikers on Sunday would like to bring news of tomorrows Michigan/Wisconsin game, it would be much appreciated.

:wink:

Postby Papillon » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:45 pm

Derek wrote:Oh. And if any day hikers on Sunday would like to bring news of tomorrows Michigan/Wisconsin game, it would be much appreciated.

I wouldn't worry too much about that now. Things will shake out at The Jack on Tuesday. :wink:
The look in his eyes when it hit - Kid, it was tasty... - William Seward Burroughs

Postby Derek » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:37 am

Papillon wrote:
Derek wrote:Oh. And if any day hikers on Sunday would like to bring news of tomorrows Michigan/Wisconsin game, it would be much appreciated.

I wouldn't worry too much about that now. Things will shake out at The Jack on Tuesday. :wink:

Crap. You're one of those green people, aren't you? Well, let me have this one! Its been a rough 20+ years!
"I used to think my Dad was Elvis. But I haven't told him that yet. I haven't told my Dad either." -S. Murdoch
LOJ

Postby Derek » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:22 am

A nice weekend in the LCW! Thanks everyone for showing up. We had 7 head up for the overnight, plus 3 dayhikers for the trip up to Lake Park Peak on Sunday. The weather was...strange...but MUCH better than the weather man predicted. In fact, the only "heavy-ish" snow came while we were on the summit. Good times with good people.....with good beer. :wink:

Few photos from the trip:

Camp (center, see orange tent) and South Tarryall Peak (background) from Pt. 10218.

Claybird and Vonmackle figuring out a way down from Pt. 10218

Vonmackle in his element on the way up Lake Park Peak on Sunday.

Summit of Lake Park Peak.

Near the summit.

Clouds breaking on South Tarryall on the descent.
LOJ

Postby vonmackle » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:57 pm

Great time at the gathering! Here's a photo of the Sunday Lake Park Crew on the summit.

_MG_4047.jpg
_MG_4047.jpg (158.24 KiB) Viewed 134 times
"To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable." -Ludwig van Beethoven

Previous