Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Winter Camping Locations?

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Winter Camping Locations?

Postby RunRalphieRun » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:00 am

So I'm slowly building my gear to allow me to get outdoors more, and I just got a 0 degree synthetic sleeping bag to go winter camping. Does anybody have any ideas on where some good beginner winter camping can be done?

Re: Winter Camping Locations?

Postby globreal » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:10 am

RunRalphieRun wrote:So I'm slowly building my gear to allow me to get outdoors more, and I just got a 0 degree synthetic sleeping bag to go winter camping. Does anybody have any ideas on where some good beginner winter camping can be done?

I started practicing in my back yard. It's a great way to test your gear and to build confidence without consequences.

You could then move up to places like Hoosier Pass where you could either car camp if you have a vehicle you can sleep in, or you could pitch a tent in the big parking lot or just over in the trees. Again, you can practice but have the car (ie: heater) as a bailout option if needed.

As you obtain the right gear, learn some winter systems, and build your confidence, you could then backpack in to more remote locations. But don't forsake learning about avalanche danger before heading into the backcountry!

Good luck, be safe, and have fun!
...but these are written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.
~John 20:31

Postby Presto » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:24 am

Just in case you don't have a backyard (i.e., townhome/apartment situation), Tennessee Pass is a good practice area ... the drive from Denver isn't too far, you can head off to the west from the parking area and find plenty of opportunities to stomp out a camping spot in the trees or in an open area. If it doesn't end up being "your sort of thing", you can easily pack up, and hike back to the parking area.

Happy trails! :-D
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM

Postby jbchalk » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:26 am

McCullough Gulch on the north side of Quandry is good for a simple 3-4 mile backpack in. Mayflower Gulch is decent as well with an even shorter/easier approach.

Postby GregMiller » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:40 am

Anyone know of any good snowdrifts for digging a snowcave into? I'm hoping to hike in a couple miles next weekend, dig a snowcave, and spend the night in it with some friends.

Postby Presto » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:47 am

by GregMiller ยป Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:40 pm
Anyone know of any good snowdrifts for digging a snowcave into? I'm hoping to hike in a couple miles next weekend, dig a snowcave, and spend the night in it with some friends.

I'm thinking after this weekend ... :-k ... maybe ... Boston. :wink: :lol:
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM

Postby globreal » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:51 am

Presto wrote:Just in case you don't have a backyard (i.e., townhome/apartment situation)

...in that case, you could just head to downtown Denver and pretend to be homeless. :-"
...but these are written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.

Postby globreal » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:57 am

GregMiller wrote:Anyone know of any good snowdrifts for digging a snowcave into? I'm hoping to hike in a couple miles next weekend, dig a snowcave, and spend the night in it with some friends.

Hoosier Pass. Take the FS road northwest from the parking lot, (only a 100-200 yards.) Those northeast facing slopes load up in winter. When I did an avy training day, the instructor showed us two huge snowcaves he had made the week before. He dug them into the lower part of a convex slope.

Good luck!