Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

unsure if I should even post this....

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: unsure if I should even post this....

Postby jaymz » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:54 am

Pure gold in this thread. The best is trying to reconcile statements like this...
evaunitross wrote:USAKeller is proud to tell the world she is anti-pot (and anti-drug for that matter) but what is she actually saying? ... You aren't even addressing the issue here, you just want to tell us all how great you are for being "drug-free".

...and this...
evaunitross wrote:I know I'm making a bigger deal out of your post than I should, but it hit a nerve with me. You posted because you feel better than other people for being anti-pot/anti-drug and you KNOW it. Soul searching might be a good idea tonight ma'am.

...and this...
evaunitross wrote:You don't like the smell of pot because you associate it with people you don't like. Stop lying to yourself and pretending that pot has some terrible smell. If you smelled it and had no idea what it was, you wouldn't mind the smell. Seriously, use your thought organ people.

...with this:
evaunitross wrote:People making me feel like a criminal again...You are also judging me.
:lol:

And on a different note:
evaunitross wrote:Justiner, hon...I know its illegal. That isn't the point of this post. Smoking pot outside anywhere is illegal. Crossing the street diagonally across an intersection is also illegal.

Ladies and gentlemen, your Stoner Philosophy of Law.

Postby TallGrass » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:14 am

evaunitross wrote:I agree people shouldn't have to smell pot smoke if they dont want to. But people shouldn't be raped and murdered if they don't want to.

pills2619 wrote:I smell good.

evaunitross wrote:Justiner, hon...I know its illegal. That isn't the point of this post. Smoking pot outside anywhere is illegal.

pills2619 wrote:we should have a climbing connection section just for people who like to smoke while on the trail

Am I mistaken, or have evaunitross and pills2619 just made a Climbing Connection? Image

pills2619 wrote:I for one will turn on your ass and start to really ruin your day if you try and ruin mine by going out of your way to tell me that I can't smoke pot in the great outdoors. ... Always frustrated about something never clear minded like the people using Gods gift to modern society. Smoke on and don't be sorry. ... P.S. If you are anti pot you are probably a douche bag and yes I'm incredibly serious about that, look in the mirror and you will find that f-----t in high school who loves fanny packs and possibly that guy in college who loves the military but can't get in so he tucks his camo shirt in and sits in the front row, and at work your Dwight from the Office. ... oh and I'm baked out of my mind right now.

evaunitross wrote:What is trolling? Midwestcoast, I apologize for saying you seem like a bitch.

pills2619 wrote:Now that I have the trolling out of my system...

Roger, Houston. We have a connection. Image

jaymz wrote:Pure gold in this thread.

Indeed! Think this morning either will walk into class, late, sit down, and try to put their seatbelt back on?
http://www.bobdylan.com/us/songs/my-back-pages
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby England » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:19 am

midwestcoast wrote:
justiner wrote:
evaunitross wrote:Justiner, hon...I know its illegal. That isn't the point of this post. Smoking pot outside anywhere is illegal. Crossing the street diagonally across an intersection is also illegal. Lets see if you can find a denver post article on that. ;)

OK, so we're on the same page about that. And I agree with you with the opinion that we all break rules. I'd take it a step further and say that's impossible that we all can't follow all the rules, all the time.

But I don't have much sympathy, if you're caught breaking a rule, and someone's pissed off at you. And that was your initial question: were they out of line? My opinion may be that they're not.

Let's take your jaywalking example, whoever bizarre that is to use: say someone jaywalks, and almost gets hit by a car. Is the driver of the car in the right to tell this person, loudly, and with flowerly language, how much they do not appreciate them jaywalking?

The best thing may be, if you do not like rules, is to make a case to change them. Some rules are good ideas though. For a place like The Boulder Mountain Parks, rules are in place so all that want to, may enjoy it. It's a busy place, near a city. Perhaps a strict ban on smoking, fires, etc, is a good idea, no matter if you do not agree, and no matter if you decide to break it - the whole extended area is in the midst of a pretty bad drought. I'm not looking forward to having a front seat on the s**t is on Fire Show.

This is unacceptable due to your use of logic and empathetic reasoning. I move that you be banned from the internet.

:roll: I thinks someone needs a chill pill!
Peter Gallagher quote: "Many people say I move fast for a guy that's out of shape. Then I just remind them that round is a shape".

Postby Jim Davies » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:26 am

MountainMedic wrote:Overall, I would fall in the anti-pot-outdoors camp for one reason: safety.

Safety is important.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby scalba123 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:32 am

evaunitross wrote:Well after reading all these posts (9 pages in less than 24 hours? wowee) I am saddened by so much anti-pot sentiments. Kind of a drag how much anger came out in response to this. I appreciate the people who had well thought out arguments, on both sides. I don't appreciate the people who made pot smokers out to be mindless idiots (notice I'm not using any names here so please don't feel the need to retaliate as if I specifically identified you). Where does that anger come from? I guess I'll think twice before sparking up in the backcountry again. Wouldn't want to run into any of you guys and get unfairly maligned as a drug addict...again. You win.

Is the anti-pot sentiment any different than the anti-dog or anti-gun discussions that we've had on this site? I wouldn't call it anger. I think people have gotten way too sensitive over others disagreeing with their viewpoints [I would also attribute it to having an extreme case of keyboard courage].

If you feel the need to spark up [never heard that phrase before], just accept any reaction that may happen...positive or negative.

Postby midwestcoast » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:30 am

As a final push towards the hall of fame, I present to you the OP PM drama, unabridged. I share this for your entertainment and because the OP just won't throw in the towel. If you constantly send me derogatory and threatening PM's over nothing then my obligation to keep such PM's 'private' drops to....let's say, zero. I realize "tattling" isn't "oh so cool", but you know...this would be a fun read if I were someone else, so I just want to share the pleasure. :mrgreen:

evaunitross: you judge people for smoking pot? sorry but gimme a break lady! look at yourself and if there's nothing there to judge, then maybe you have the right to judge other people. OR maybe you could get over whatever it is that makes you such an angry person.

midwestcoast: It's a joke. Calm down. It's also not judging someone for smoking pot, its for smoking pot in a situation where I have to smell it. I don't dislike people for liking music, but I do dislike people who make me listen to there music because they can't play it at a reasonable volume in public. I don't have a problem with pot.

evaunitross: Dear non-human primate. You stated in your post that you judged those people. You also just posted saying "you sound like a class act". You, on the other hand, sound like a bitch.

evaunitross: Oh will you stop?! You are acting like a kindergartener! Tattling on me to the other people posting is ridiculous. Great, you don't have a problem with pot. Coming from someone who smokes, your posts have been the most irritating of everyones. I guess you don't understand why, but you come off as oh so uncool. Lets not communicate anymore ok? you seem like precisely the type of person that I like to pretend doesn't exist.

midwestcoast: I've never asked to communicate with you... You posted in a public forum and you got responses. You're the only one who is getting worked up over them.

evaunitross: If you didn't look like you're about 50 I'd assume you were 5. Grow up.

midwestcoast: because I respond to forum posts and messages ? hey, here's a clue, if you don't want to hear from me ? quit replying!

evaunitross: I just dont like having misunderstandings and negativity with other people. I'm sure you're not that bad and I assume you're actually a reasonably nice person when you're not behind the anonimity of your computer screen. I apologize for the insults. You made me mad though. Your thinking seems judgmental to me and clouded by prejudice. Have you ever smoked pot? No. I'm not going to respond to you anymore so yeah, have a good one ma'am.

midwestcoast: haha, do I really look like a 50 year old lady in my photo ? maybe I should change that... I guess I just don't understand why I sound judgmental. I HAVE smoked pot. I mildly enjoyed it, but don't do it because for whatever reason I really dislike the smell and used to have lung issues which cause more discomfort than it was worth to me. Most of my friends smoke occasionally... I'm not judging that, so I don't understand what I'm judging ? I'm sure you have things you dislike, and even when others like those things, you prefer they don't do it in close proximity to you when they could do it elsewhere. I don't know why you've gotten so upset with me over it. I had 4 hours to blow between classes today and that's really the only reason I responded to the initial post anyways, I only ever meant to have a civil conversation with fellow climbers, kept me busy at least. Apologies for coming off as so disagreeable and unlikable, take care.

evaunitross: Honestly I let people do what they want and I don't care what anyone does unless they are directly offending me, putting me in danger or trying to harm my friends. People should be allowed to smoke, a good distance away from the trail, and if you don't like the smell, just deal with it dude. Be happy you're not getting raped or eaten by a bear. Life is hard. You can deal with a faint whiff of pot smoke, I know you can!

midwestcoast: If you actually read anything I said, you would see that I said I "just deal with it". So you're suggesting that I should do...exactly what I said I do ? This is why I don't understand the anger with me... I've been trying to assume we're just not on the same page here and you're thinking I said something I didnt... and give you the benefit of the doubt, but it's becoming clear you just have reading comprehension issues.

evaunitross: lol, yawn

evaunitross: Dude, I just saw your latest post in this thread. I wish I could tell you what I really think of you right now but I know you'll f***ing tattle on me to everyone else. B-I-T-C-H Good thing you're in Minnesota man. STAY THERE

midwestcoast: threats of violence, how enlightened of you.

evaunitross: Go f**k yourself a**hole.

PS. If you have further names you would like to call me, please, do so publicly in the thread. If you have to play out your meaningless battles so privately, maybe that's a sign that you, are in fact, being the a**hole.
Last edited by midwestcoast on Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Fisching » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:46 am

Tory Wells wrote:Therefore, it seems like a person could follow a similar protocol for smoking as going to the bathroom in the woods: go off by yourself where no one else will see/hear/smell, leave no trace, don't start fires, and (more appropriate for the smoker) don't act like a stupid jackass when you're high. :mrgreen:

Shouldn't your "more appropriate for the smoke" distinction also apply to the "don't start fires"? I'm concerned with the flammability of your bowel movements.
I'll echo the safety concerns Mountainmedic mentions since hiking/climbing (or whatever you want to call it) should be taken seriously. I'll let Robin Williams do the explaining (1:00 mark):

Now a fun video...
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."

"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."

"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."

Postby 12ersRule » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:58 am

bonehead wrote:evaunitross

Is that you Deuce?
Welcome Back!

Last I heard, he was trying to secure loans to open up a jewelry cleaning shop called "Shine on you Crazy Diamond". Or maybe he's still just getting Ace out of various hoosegaws. Who knows?

Postby GreenHorn » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:02 am

49ersRule wrote:
bonehead wrote:evaunitross

Is that you Deuce?
Welcome Back!

Last I heard, he was trying to secure loans to open up a jewelry cleaning shop called "Shine on you Crazy Diamond". Or maybe he's still just getting Ace out of various hoosegaws. Who knows?

The conspiracy theorist in me guesses it's Rustic.

evaunitross = rustevasion
Live now. Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.

--JEAN-LUC PICARD

Postby RosieTheSummiter » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:35 am

evaunitross wrote: It dissapates because of this thing called wind. Have any of you ever actually encountered some smoke hanging in the air in a cloud dense enough to see or even breathe in up in the mountains? Again, the only way you are going to have any significant smoke inhalation is if someone is smoking right next to you. I know you may be able to smell it and I suppose you shouldn't have to smell it if you don't want, but lets be real, its not damaging your lungs or interfering with your ability to breathe fresh air just because you smell it..

Allow me to present another context:

Do you care if I bring my boombox to the summit and play my music at volume 8 for a while?
[The noise] disappears between songs. The only way you're going to get significant noise pollution if I'm playing my music right next to you. I know you might be able to hear it, but let's be real - it's not damaging your ears or interfering with your ability to hear other (natural) sounds just because you hear it.

Would you want me to impose on your solitude this way?

It should not be considered an insult for it to be asked of every single one of us who enjoys these peaks to maybe sacrifice a little something we enjoy (i.e., leave it at home) for the benefit of all involved if it's something that could pose an issue. These peaks are for everyone; they shouldn't become one's personal living room.
Personally, I'm crazy allergic to smoke from cigarettes and such, as well as forest fires. 14ers are one place where I can find a little relief in the summer, and when you smoke, you make it unpleasant on my sinuses....and another tree dies in the name of Kleenex.
"Don't get mad, get altitude."

Postby Duffus Kentucky Climber » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:42 am

Some people really like to get all pissy. Some others like to get pissy about people who get pissy!
It looks like the ridge is just right up there!

Postby jaymz » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:52 am

RosieTheSummiter wrote:Allow me to present another context:

Do you care if I bring my boombox to the summit and play my music at volume 8 for a while?
[The noise] disappears between songs. The only way you're going to get significant noise pollution if I'm playing my music right next to you. I know you might be able to hear it, but let's be real - it's not damaging your ears or interfering with your ability to hear other (natural) sounds just because you hear it.

Would you want me to impose on your solitude this way?

And stop lying to yourself and pretending that Justin Bieber has some terrible sound. If you heared it and had no idea what it was, you wouldn't mind the sound. Seriously, use your thought organ people.

PreviousNext