Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

LCW Gathering III - February 9-10

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: LCW Gathering III - February 9-10

Postby globreal » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:56 pm

Waggs wrote:While it doesn't sound like there is enough snow to require traction/flotation, is there enough to melt for water?

Waggs

With a 50% chance of snow on Saturday, I am taking flotation!

And that should solve the snow to melt problem.
...but these are written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.
~John 20:31

Postby Waggs » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:58 pm

globreal wrote:
Waggs wrote:While it doesn't sound like there is enough snow to require traction/flotation, is there enough to melt for water?

Waggs

With a 50% chance of snow on Saturday, I am taking flotation!

And that should solve the snow to melt problem.

Roger, roger.
Gloves are optional. Mittens mandatory - S. Gladbach

Postby globreal » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:58 pm

Kevin Baker wrote:I might be up for the Catamount as a dayhike on Sun if anybody wants to join me. The forecast looks pretty marginal to be attempting a sustained 4th class summit like the Catamount though. I'll probably wait until Fri to decide.

Kevin, in regards to your "sustained 4th class" I got this in a PM from climbing_rob:

To climb Catamount, we first climbed Tarryall peak, then headed SW (?) towards Catamount, swung around the south side and up that way. It went easy class 3 max up until the very summit, which requires a very short 5th class move to make the actual summit block. No exposure whatsoever on that last move.
...but these are written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.
~John 20:31

Postby Kevin Baker » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:05 pm

Ok, that will probably go with snow, then. Might be a cool
adventure to pull it off while it's snowing!

Postby DanR » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:05 am

I'm in for this, but I need to be back in Boulder by about 4:00 on Sunday. Happy to carpool with anyone else who is planning on heading down early.

Postby climbing_rob » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:58 am

globreal wrote:
Kevin Baker wrote:I might be up for the Catamount as a dayhike on Sun if anybody wants to join me. The forecast looks pretty marginal to be attempting a sustained 4th class summit like the Catamount though. I'll probably wait until Fri to decide.

Kevin, in regards to your "sustained 4th class" I got this in a PM from climbing_rob:

To climb Catamount, we first climbed Tarryall peak, then headed SW (?) towards Catamount, swung around the south side and up that way. It went easy class 3 max up until the very summit, which requires a very short 5th class move to make the actual summit block. No exposure whatsoever on that last move.
Important point: When we climbed catamount, we did NOT use the route described on Summitpost (Kane's, right?). We climbed the south side; found some ledgy-ramps and did some friction scrambling. I don't remember anything exposed, but with snow, there might be some tricky sections. It was bone-dry when we climbed it. The summit block move was the only thing above 3rd class, but always keep in mind "class" ratings are subjective. Also keep in mind that there was definitely some route finding involved. Tricky little mountain, but super-cool because it's a beautiful area and so few people ever climb this one.

Postby Brian Thomas » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:06 am

DanR wrote:I'm in for this, but I need to be back in Boulder by about 4:00 on Sunday. Happy to carpool with anyone else who is planning on heading down early.

Excellent. So you'll be joining for South Tarryall on Sunday morning then heading out after that?

Catamounters- conditions of the area will likely be different from my dry trip up Bison last week. I would like to go over the summit of Tarryall on Saturday and then make a decision about attempting the Catamount.

Sunday daytrippers- could you aim to be at Hankins Pass at 10:30? See Derek's stats at top of page 3 of this thread to plan your carpools and trailhead departure time. And a note about the drive down from Denver, County Road 77 goes southeast from Jefferson meaning you'll be driving into the sun. The shaded bends in the road like to hold ice so be careful driving!
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan

Postby Derek » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:19 am

Couple things:
1- It doesn't look like I'll be able to get out of Denver until 830ish on Saturday...meaning TH 1030ish.

2- I am more inclined to try for Catamount on Sunday, along with Lake Park Peak. And based on the south ridge option and my memory of looking at it from Tarryall Peak, I dont believe that a summit of Tarryall is required. In fact, I would prefer to angle over from Lake Park Peak to check out formations in the area.

3- I may pass on South Tarryall Sunday morning....maybe sleep in. ;) I was just up there recently anyway.

4- Sounds like myself, Clay and vonmackle will be carpooling. Not sure if we could combine/coordinate with others too. Again, I apologize for my late start time out of Denver.

So in short, I guess my preferred itinerary would to hike up to camp Saturday, set up camp, and explore some formations near Hankins Pass. (There are a few to the NW that I've had my eye on.) Sunday morning, head up for Lake Park and Catamount. Not sure of the order.

If this conflicts with other peoples plans, I am fine changing.

--D
"I used to think my Dad was Elvis. But I haven't told him that yet. I haven't told my Dad either." -S. Murdoch
LOJ

Postby Brian Thomas » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:39 am

Derek wrote:Again, I apologize for my late start time out of Denver

Don't apologize. You are the Birthday Boy. And to all the other overnighters, the Birthday Boy is not allowed to carry his own beer on his birthday, so each of you need to pack in at least one beer for him. And make sure it's good beer, not Bud Light or some other cheap domestic p*ss!
Derek wrote: I may pass on South Tarryall Sunday morning....maybe sleep in

See above. We'll try to give you a good reason to need to sleep in \:D/
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan

Postby vonmackle » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:52 am

Brian Thomas wrote: And make sure it's good beer, not Bud Light or some other cheap domestic p*ss!

I was watching one of those sporting matches on TV the other day, and one of the commercials seemed to suggest that all the cool people are drinking Bud Black Crown.
"To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable." -Ludwig van Beethoven

Postby Brian Thomas » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:32 pm

vonmackle wrote:all the cool people are drinking Bud Black Crown.

No they aren't. The cool people are drinking Schaefer, because it's the one to have when you're having more than one.

Postby Jay521 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:14 pm

Brian Thomas wrote:
vonmackle wrote:all the cool people are drinking Bud Black Crown.

No they aren't. The cool people are drinking Schaefer, because it's the one to have when you're having more than one.

All this talk about beer is making me VERY thirsty...
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down

PreviousNext