Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Mentally moving up from class 2 to class 3/4

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Mentally moving up from class 2 to class 3/4

Postby mjobson » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:16 pm

FWIW -

To the original poster: you are definitely not alone. There are a lot of badasses out there that make you feel like less of a man for not dangling an inch from death on every climb, but there is something to be said for knowing your limits and easing into things. Feels like more people buying it per summer than ever before...maybe not the case...but feels like it. Be smart. Don't give in to the pressure and oh yeah...have fun!! There are worse things out there than enjoying a spectacular view from the top of a class 2 14er.

I will be right there with you this summer and have the same head issues near exposure. I am going to try Kit Carson, hopefully flanked by a couple of seasoned exposure freaks.

Good luck to you!

Re: Mentally moving up from class 2 to class 3/4

Postby ChrisRoberts » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:02 pm

In a book I read a bit ago, the author was describing a way he had his people learn to get into climbing habits; boulder running.

Basically, find a boulder field and start running across it. Like boulder hopping, but with speed. Not that I'd really recommend going that extreme, but I think there is something too it. With simple boulder hopping, there can be a bit of exposure, you have to learn to trust your balance, and it's basically half of class 3/4 climbing, the missing half is that you're not using your arms. A lot of the legwork feels the same to me.

I've noticed people who are uncomfortable with scrambling tend to be uncomfortable boulder hopping, even if it is only class 2. So if that fits your description, I'd say honing in your balance/foot placement on a boulderfield could be a good way to step up to 3/4.

BTW, it looked to me that you could make The Sawtooth almost exclusively 2-2+ by just walking around the gendarme. And pictures of the ledge make it look much worse than it actually is. Not to say it should be anyone's first venture into class 3, however...but I don't think it really lives up to the hype.
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
Read all about my schemes and adventuring at NoCo Chris Latest TR: Ramsay, Sugarloaf and Skull

Previous