Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Is this too many backpacks?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Is this too many backpacks?

Postby randalmartin » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:37 pm

Sorry, I'll be boring.

GoLite Jam 50L which has outstanding compression ability to function well from full to 1/4 full. Works for multi-day backpacks, winter outings.
REI Flash 18 for day hikes

Of course I am not into technical climbing and so am not lugging around a bunch of heavier gear that involves.

Postby Papillon » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:39 pm

lordhelmut wrote:Someone should start a "Lets see your gear closets" thread. It'd be nice to get some "re-modeling" ideas if nothing else. Impressive Roan.

I agree. Looks nicer than my rathole apartment.
The look in his eyes when it hit - Kid, it was tasty... - William Seward Burroughs

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:55 pm

Papillon wrote:
lordhelmut wrote:Someone should start a "Lets see your gear closets" thread. It'd be nice to get some "re-modeling" ideas if nothing else. Impressive Roan.

I'll second that!
Oh, sorry, I meant not the apt, the gear closet thread. :-D

Caleb, nice organization.

My "gear closet" - it occurs to me it's all over the house. A walk-in climbing closet downstairs, a backpack/clothing/mountaineering closet in the "rec room," the boots, bags, and pads in the LR closet, climbing guidebooks on the coffee table, framed climbing photography laying against most of the walls in between the laundry... Oh God I need the woman's touch around here. [-o< (I think...) 8-[
Last edited by Dancesatmoonrise on Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby bergsteigen » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:00 pm

Papillon wrote:

There was a thread a while back... http://www.14ers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15366

My gear room in my house is in desperate need of organization... so ideas would be good!
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."
- Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)

http://otinasadventures.com

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:03 pm

Good thread, Otina!

gurlyclimber wrote:OMG. My gear closet is embarassing. I have everything I need and then some for friends. You open the door and everything falls out. I need to come up with a new system.

:lol:

Postby TallGrass » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:10 pm

lordhelmut wrote:t'd be nice to get some "re-modeling" ideas if nothing else.

Yes, Roan did an excellent job, but it's not that hard to do. Three things to consider, are you a visual or a system sorter, how temperature and critter controlled the space is, and best ways of maximizing floor square footage.

Pegboard is an easy way to visually sort lots of odd shaped things, but requires a fair amount of wall space and foot space in front for access. Do NOT screw it on the wall directly; it needs to be spaced off of it for the hooks to work (1x2s laid flat will work). Not hard to make a 2x4 frame to keep walls marr-free, same for adding casters so you can roll it around.

Wire racks on casters (lots of different sizes, depths, heights, etc.) and 18gal Sterlite tubs (make sure tub and rack sizes are compatible with each other) work great in a garage as they keep moisture, weather, and critters out of gear while giving a clean look (system sorting, labels/memory; use clear ones if you're more visual but need critter-proofing, and opaque colored ones if you want a clean uniform look). If you buy two of the tall racks and use the 18gal tubs, you'll be able to slide two tubs per shelf on four shelf (not counting top) with two shelves left over which you can use to span between the two racks with a bottom one for shoes and a top one to hang gear from (bags, coats, etc.). In between the tubs on the shelves are good places for odd items like helmets or closed cell bedroll pads. (My wire racks look like this model with a center spine along the length of the shelf and I use the tubs pictured which fit perfectly.)
Image Image

Modular: you could do a hybrid where you roll a rack of tubs in front of the board when not in use, but easily roll it out when hanging stuff to air out, dry, or just plan/pack.
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby MuchosPixels » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:37 pm

Liquid Shadow wrote:I'm trying to revamp my whole backpack lineup within the next month. Would like to get some opinions from you guys.

I'm looking to have 4 backpacks to cover all bases:

1. Black Diamond Bbee 11L - for day hikes or short climbs around Boulder
2. Black Diamond Burn 28L - for single day 14er assaults (already own this pack, love it)
3. The North Face Verto 26L - for summit day on multi-day 14er assaults such as Capitol or Little Bear (this is compressible while the Black Diamond Burn is not)
4. Black Diamond Mercury 65L - for lugging all the gear on multi-day 14er assaults

Is this too many? What do you guys think?

I don't think its too many at all!

Each one has a purpose so I wouldn't feel guilty for owning all 4. :-D

Postby RoanMtnMan » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:52 pm

You guys should have seen my gear storage (next to the couch) in our 600 sq ft, 1 bedroom San Fran apartment. I had only slightly less crap than I have now and my girlfriend and I both occupied the place. Maybe I will scan an old film shot of that mess. Most people had art on their living room walls, we had cams, ice screws, axes, packs, sleeping bags........ I feel like I have been set free from that mess! The 4x8 storage unit in Jersey City was an even worse mess.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:29 pm

RoanMtnMan wrote:You guys should have seen my gear storage (next to the couch) in our 600 sq ft, 1 bedroom San Fran apartment. I had only slightly less crap than I have now and my girlfriend and I both occupied the place. Maybe I will scan an old film shot of that mess. Most people had art on their living room walls, we had cams, ice screws, axes, packs, sleeping bags........ I feel like I have been set free from that mess! The 4x8 storage unit in Jersey City was an even worse mess.

Cams, ice screws, axes on the wall of a 600 sf San Fran apt... Poetry! :wink:

Postby mrburns » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:38 pm

OK, I'll play:

Osprey Talon 22 - this is my go to summer hiking pack. I also use it for 14ers that don't require axe or crampons,etc
Osprey Switch 36 - for winter daytrips (ski or climb)
Dana Design Sphinx (approx 45 liters) - from prob 1999, still a bomber pack. Don't really use it too much anymore.
Osprey Kestrel 48 - I just bought this one for a Christmas present to myself. I have only used it a couple of times. Once for a hut trip and one for a short snowshoe just to test it out. Pretty impressed so far.

I also have a Arcteryx Bora 80 that is bomber, but as said before, it is over 7 lbs empty. I am hoping to use the Kestrel for most backpacking trips in the future.

The only other one that sees regular use is a Camelbak Mule that is 15 years old that I use for mtn biking.

Who is starting the gear closet thread?
Last edited by mrburns on Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"They've got the internet on computers now?" - H. Simpson

Postby Papillon » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:12 pm

I'm in about 800 sq feet. I can't pull the trigger on getting a house. I slept in a tent or the back of my car 81 nights last year. The thought of pushing a lawnmower on a Saturday afternoon terrifies me, wakes me up in the middle of the night with what I like to call "black ice anxiety".

Boots and gaiters air out by one of the windows in our living room. The desk is a sea of books, maps, new purchases, cameras, etc. Day packs and a large cooler sit below the breakfast bar. When I get back from a trip, I don't even empty the cooler. I'll deplete the beer during the week like a good little dirt ass. Who needs a fridge?

If I buy something and it comes in a cardboard box, I'll let the cat play in it for a week or so in the middle of the living room. If a chick doesn't like this, she ain't the chick for me. Luckily, I don't have that problem. 8)

We have a small area in the entranceway to our place. Of course, every time I need something, it is buried at the bottom. Typical.

Maybe we need to organize an Arc'teryx Bora 80 Memorial Hike?
The look in his eyes when it hit - Kid, it was tasty... - William Seward Burroughs

Postby RoanMtnMan » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:40 pm

Papillon wrote:Boots and gaiters air out by one of the windows in our living room. The desk is a sea of books, maps, new purchases, cameras, etc. Day packs and a large cooler sit below the breakfast bar. When I get back from a trip, I don't even empty the cooler. I'll deplete the beer during the week like a good little dirt ass. Who needs a fridge?

Having been on both sides of the fence, I can't come up with a compelling argument that your system is any better than having extra room. I think there is something to be said for how much one loves the mountains by how much they compromise their living spaces with the habit. That setup is highly respectable.

We are way off topic at this point. Someone needs to start a gear storage thread.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

PreviousNext