Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Congrats to my good friend J

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Congrats to my good friend J

Postby jbchalk » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:29 pm

Some of you know my great friend and climbing partner J Weingast from my trip reports or maybe you have met him through me on specific mountains or elsewhere. Anyway, as Chicago Transplant said to us, J is no longer part of the ABC club, i.e. "All But Culebra". J is not on 14ers.com nor on Facebook (neither am I), but I just wanted to give a quick congratulatory shout-out to him (maybe I will forward this post onto him) for completing all of the 14ers in Colorado this past Saturday on a great winter hike up Culebra with a great crew. He had unofficially finished all the 14ers years ago with my wife, Kristine, on Antero, but Culebra was like a splinter in his mind and I knew he wanted to get it done at some point. And, what better way than to do it in winter for a bit more of a challenge. Between all of the international trips & climbs as well as local adventures in our beloved Gore Range, it was hard to plan another trip down to Culebra just to say he finished the official 14ers. But, when Anna started the thread about a winter hike up Culebra, I was interested in going back and so was he. That way, we can use that particular summer weekend we would have gone to Culebra for a Gore outing instead :) Anyway, J has been my #2 partner for so many years now (second to my wife, of course) and has been successful on climbs with me ranging from Denali to Castleton Tower. He's a heck of a climber and scrambler for sure.

Congratulations, J! Here's to infinitely more climbs and adventures throughout our lifetime.

IMG_5426.JPG
J on the summit of Culebra Peak (14,047') on February 2, 2013 for his final of the CO 14er summits
IMG_5426.JPG (75.22 KiB) Viewed 593 times

Re: Congrats to my good friend J

Postby Brian C » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:31 pm

Great work indeed! Nice to hike with you guys.
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth

Postby geojed » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:33 pm

Congrats! I feel honored to have been part of the cheering/welcoming party at the summit! =D>

Postby Monster5 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:35 pm

Congrats J! So he'll set his poles down to take a picture but not for continuously downclimbing 4th and low-fifth :lol:
Last edited by Monster5 on Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich

Postby I Man » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:45 pm

Congrats man!! It was great to meet you and hike with you. Hopefully I will see you again soon. Cheers!
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

"I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.

Postby MountainHiker » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:49 pm

Congratulations. Does doing Culebra in the winter make it feel like you're getting more for your money?!
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby RoanMtnMan » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:15 pm

Congrats JBoy! I have enjoyed many a good international trip and CO adventure with J as well. One heck of a guy and climber. Glad you finally got that pesky Culebra done. Sorry we missed the climb. But we did get you back from Ireland for your Antero (unofficial) last 14er with at least an hour or two to spare!
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby Chicago Transplant » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:48 pm

Congrats J, glad I could join you! You certainly earned that ice cream cone in Ft Garland!

Looking forward to some local adventures this summer, the Zodiac is calling :-D
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day

Postby jblyth » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:12 am

Congrats J, great meeting you up there!

Postby jbchalk » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:43 am

Thanks for the kind words, Brian, Jed, Ryan, Matt, MountainHiker, Caleb, Mike, & Jason. I know J appreciates these comments as he told me he read them all.

MountainHiker, I absolutely think J feels he got more out of his money by hiking the peak in winter as I do. Especially, with the awesome granola bars, bananas, & gatorade Sam offered us after the hike back at the ranch.

Ryan, yep, J put down the poles for his summit shot, though you are correct in that he will never put them down climbing/downclimbing 4th/low 5th class terrain whether on the Gore Grand Traverse, Ripsaw Ridge, or Pyramid.

Thanks, fellas.

Brandon

Postby pioletski » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:48 am

Cheers J!

You picked a beautiful weekend for your finisher. Well done.
The greater danger, for most of us, is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low, and we reach it.
- Michelangelo

Postby BobbyFinn » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:12 pm

Congrats!
"Mind what you have learned. Save you it can." - Yoda
"Rudeness is a weak person's imitation of strength." - Paul Arel

Next