Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Boots for 6000-7000m peaks

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Boots for 6000-7000m peaks

Postby herdbull » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:30 am

I'm looking towards starting to purchase gear for future climbs and I stumbled on these:

http://www.geartrade.com/item/291626/millet-everest-gtx-boots

I know they're overkill for 6000m but I have no idea what the future holds after my South American plans. The price is pretty decent and they are mildly "educated". The obvious choice for me would be La Sportiva Spantiks as the Nepal Evos fit & worked great and those seem to be one of the boots of choice for climbs in this ht range, but these are in my size and would carry me to any peak I desire.

The downside is I'm only 75% confident they would fit. Going from brand to brand there could be differences. I would have to try and resell or have a nice pair of ice fishing boots :-D if they didn't work out.

So what do you guys think? Am I putting the cart way in front of the horse? Antone have experience with these compared to the Spantiks? I am somewhat of an opportunist, maybe for the right price they can sit until I may need them.

Then to make matters worse.......

http://www.ebay.com/itm/La-Sportiva-Spantik-yellow-and-black-mens-size-9-42-/181073773208?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item2a28d68298

Re: Boots for 6000-7000m peaks

Postby pvnisher » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:07 am

I don't have personal experience with those Millets, but know that not only do boots differ from brand to brand, but also within brands. The Nepal EVO and Nepal Extreme, for instance, which are nearly identical, require different sizes to fit me (EVO is a bit narrower than Extreme).

That said, most of these style boots will fit a wide range, and you can always get heat moldable liners to get a better fit, as long as the shell is the right size.

Another thing to consider with the massive triple boots is that they aren't as flexible for ranges as a double boot is. With double you can have the double boot, and add overboot when needed. With triple you're set in its one configuration. That makes it ideal (less futzing) for the really high and cold stuff, but less ideal in terms of places you can wear a set of boots.

Re: Boots for 6000-7000m peaks

Postby herdbull » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:09 pm

I think I'll pass on the Millets for now. After thinking about it and hearing a few good points here, the Spantiks are just a better boot for what I will encounter or plan on encountering. I hadn't really considered overboots but that may be a good option if the need arises. I do like the versatility of the double boots.

Just my luck I showed some interest on the pair of Spantiks on Ebay and the buy it now price went from $511 to $650. Huhh.... funny how that happens. For that price I'll wait until someone runs a sale on them or another pair pop up somewhere.

EDIT:

I ended up grabbing these Spantiks from Ebay. Thanks for the input.