Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Manitou Incline legalized

Colorado 14ers access and fee issues only, please

Re: Manitou Incline legalized

Postby Jim Davies » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:49 pm

jsdratm wrote:Are they fixing it up as well now that it is legal? Though, I admit the old crooked railroad ties and exposed rebar gave it personality. :)

Yes, the plan is to maintain it and fix the broken ties, washouts, etc. There is way more information than you probably want to know in this document:
http://www.manitouspringsgov.com/library/documents/general/incline/MI_Site_Devel_Plan_with_cover.pdf
It includes a survey of the grade and condition of the railroad ties at 12.5-tie intervals. There are 2700 ties total, with 11% rated "complete failure" and 8% "major damage", so it needs a lot of work. RMFI has also done a survey of the lower Barr Trail and recommended a bunch of fixes and drainage modifications. Most of both projects will probably be done by paid crews; the money from Barr Trail parking fees partly will go for this.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby PaliKona » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:17 pm

doggler wrote:
PaliKona wrote:looks super fun...I'll have to head down there and try it. Is there ice/patches of snow right now or dry (not sure of the aspect)

This (from the other thread) was taken yesterday morning. By the weekend, it will be mostly clear of snow/ice, with just a couple patches of slipperyness. Some folks prefer spikes and trax, but definitely not necessary.

Thanks, cool pic!

Postby HikerDan75 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:58 pm

Is the Incline something you can do this time of year, or does it just depend on how much snow there's been?
Nil sine numine

Postby Jim Davies » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:59 pm

Trailhead access is always good (well, given there's no trailhead, just parking in Manitou), and people do it year round. See Doggler's post for what it looks like now. It has pretty good eastern exposure so probably will be melted out by this weekend. There will probably be some icy patches on the Barr Trail on the way down.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby nicholasblee » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:16 pm

HikerDan75 wrote:Is the Incline something you can do this time of year, or does it just depend on how much snow there's been?

I've never had to use anything but yaktrax on it and really that was only for running down Barr Trail afterwards. The incline itself is usually pretty good.

Postby HikerDan75 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:27 pm

nicholasblee wrote:
HikerDan75 wrote:Is the Incline something you can do this time of year, or does it just depend on how much snow there's been?

I've never had to use anything but yaktrax on it and really that was only for running down Barr Trail afterwards. The incline itself is usually pretty good.

Thanks for the info. I've heard so much about it, it's probably time for me to make the hike up.
Nil sine numine

Postby gearhunter » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:12 pm

Pass me some of that fine ass Manitou Incline bud dude!!

Postby jsdratm » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:19 pm

I did it most of the winter when I lived there, but I found microspikes very useful when the steps became icy. I would advise going early to avoid the crowds.

Postby MuchosPixels » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:29 pm

PaliKona wrote:Is the Incline worth doing coming from Denver? (never been there)

For only the Incline, Sort of, the view is really nice but the hike up to Barr Camp or further up is definitely worth the trip. Barr trail is excellent. Its a beautiful area.

You can hike there year round. I hiked up to Pikes Peak using the Barr trail in March 2011. Conditions vary a lot but expect snow and ice around Barr Camp and up so Micro-Spikes are a good idea. On the incline it depends. It melts out quickly but there are times that a bit of ice hangs around many days after a storm.

Postby rijaca » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:02 pm

Does anybody remember actually riding the Incline?

(I do.)
"Spent a little time on the mountain
Spent a little time on the hill"

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:43 pm

rijaca wrote:Does anybody remember actually riding the Incline?

(I do.)

Well, Ricky.... we need some photos!!!

Isn't it nice to be a fully functional dinosaur??!!

(Not ribbing here - I'll gladly include myself in that category!! : )

BTW - You didn't actually ski the Peak when the lift was still in, did you? Any photos?

Postby rijaca » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:01 pm

Jim,

I'm not sure how functional I am anymore, but calling me a dinosaur is being polite. Thanks! No photos, but I did carve a couple petroglyphs.

And yes I've skied Pikes Peak (the ski area), as well as the Broadmoor, and Geneva Basin (when they had operating lifts!)
"Spent a little time on the mountain
Spent a little time on the hill"

PreviousNext