Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

redstone/marble snowshoe ideas

Items that do not fit the categories above.

redstone/marble snowshoe ideas

Postby beerhiker » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:06 am

Hi, spending a weekend near Redstone at the end of the month, looking for suggestions on where to go snowshoeing in the area, looking for something easy as I will have a first timer with me. Top of McClure Pass, or maybe out the 4WD road (Shoefield) from Marble?
Thanks

Re: redstone/marble snowshoe ideas

Postby schrund » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:12 pm

Near the end of December I drove the access road to the Mount Sopris trailhead, and the section past the "confusing intersection" had a handful of cross country skiiers and showshoers on it. There were even some Fat Tire mountain bikers. It wasn't the best road to be 4-wheeling on as I almost got stuck (the snow was pretty deep), but it looked fairly accessible for a snow shoe day. Most people parked at the "confusing intsrsection" though I bet it depends on current snow conditions.
We did not think of the great open plains, the beautiful rolling hills, and winding streams... as "wild". Only to the white man was nature a "wilderness".
-Luther Standing Bear, Oglala Chief

Postby aaron479 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:08 pm

There is a trail about 5 minutes up the road in the "town" of Placita. Look for the sign on your left as your headed up 133 towards Marble. Also, you can check out the Coal Basin road. It is gated. However, that road is open to the public. There is a lot of private property in the area, so respect it. The road before the gate also has a trailhead towards the right. This will take you into a wilderness area.

Postby giarcd » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:03 am

The road from Marble (@Beaver Lake) to Lead King Basin/Crystal City is great any time of year ,especially in winter!! Take a right at the split and go towards Crystal City. Incredible beauty and a fun shoe! Many areas off McClue pass that can work well. Parking at top available Enjoy!!

Postby beerhiker » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:30 pm

just a update, we did snowshoe off the top of McClure Pass, trail was packed, but if you wanted to go off trail there was plenty of deep snow. Also snow in the Marble area. Anything lower and pretty sparse conditions.