RMNP Mountaineering Guide from 1919

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jsdratm
14ers: 24  2 
13ers: 40
Trip Reports (4)

RMNP Mountaineering Guide from 1919

Post by jsdratm »

I found this cool book compiled by Roger Toll in 1919 that details the historic routes used to climb the various mountains in RMNP and Indian Peaks Wilderness. I thought I would share it here in case anyone else is interested:

http://www.nps.gov/history/history/onli ... /index.htm

Some interesting excerpts:
The automobile run from Denver to Estes Park is 70 or 80 miles, according to the route chosen. The run will take from four to six hours.
Telephone lines extend between Estes Park and Grand Lake, along the Flattop trail and also along the Fall River road and trail. Telephones will be found at 5-mile intervals along these lines for use by the public in cases of emergency.
At the present time there is no road for wagons or automobiles across the Continental Divide covered by the map. The Fall River road, when completed, will cross the Divide at Milner Pass, which is the second lowest pass in the above list.
A suit of corduroy or other strong, heavy material that will keep out the wind or a light rain is usually needed. On a short one-day trip in midsummer, a suit of khaki or other light material may be worn instead of the heavier suit, if the weather is favorable. Some men find knickerbocker breeches with knit leggings a good combination.
Reading about the early mountaineers makes one appreciate modern conveniences. Today you can drive across the state and back in a day, but back then they had to take rail routes, horses, and very slow automobiles to get to their destinations.
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Re: RMNP Mountaineering Guide from 1919

Post by madbuck »

Fantastic, thanks!
If you never have climbed a mountain of 14,000 feet, start by making the ascent of Longs Peak, where every half hour will change the view and every hour will change the character of your climbing.

Now we have *the* definitive answer, almost a century old, to the question: "Which 14er should I climb first?"
screeman57
14ers: 58  19 
13ers: 79 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by screeman57 »

This is awesome--thanks for posting!
“To be is to do”—Socrates.
“To do is to be”—Jean-Paul Sartre.
“Do be do be do”—Frank Sinatra.
ewaag23
14ers: 29  4 
13ers: 21 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ewaag23 »

Nice find - thanks for posting this!

It's interesting to see the substantial revisions to the 14ers list too:
http://www.nps.gov/history/history/onli ... /part3.htm
Last edited by ewaag23 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
dillonsarnelli
14ers: 58  19 
13ers: 274 8
Trip Reports (53)

Post by dillonsarnelli »

This is great. Made it a bookmark. Thanks!
Dillon Sarnelli
IG @dillonsarnelli
Basecamp, CO
Dancesatmoonrise
14ers: 58  43 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (68)

Post by Dancesatmoonrise »

Some men find knickerbocker breeches with knit leggings a good combination.
We really need to bring these back. :-D
jaymz
Trip Reports (1)

Post by jaymz »

Dancesatmoonrise wrote:
Some men find knickerbocker breeches with knit leggings a good combination.
We really need to bring these back. :-D
I would proudly rock that look if I could find them anywhere!
"But in every walk with Nature, one receives far more than he seeks."
John Muir
its_not_a_tuba
14ers: 36  1  2 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (1)

Post by its_not_a_tuba »

Bravo. Fantastic find! =D>
"Wilderness settles peace on the soul because it needs no help. It is beyond human contrivance." -- E.O. Wilson
wooderson
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 324 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by wooderson »

This is really cool. I spent a while perusing it last night. Found it interesting that in their suggested itinerary they recommend climbing Longs first. And that "Pipe, tobacco or other smoker's supplies" are among the checklist of equipment.

Thanks for posting this, I'm sure I'll be reading more of it.
TheOtherIndian
14ers: 50  7 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (10)

Post by TheOtherIndian »

Gold! Great find!
Anything less than immortality is a complete waste of time. -Bender 'Bending' Rodriguez
TaylorHolt
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 210 7
Trip Reports (8)

Post by TaylorHolt »

Pssh...no interest.

Route descriptions and trailhead info have to be pretty outdated. :-"
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer
Voodoo302
14ers: 19 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Voodoo302 »

This is excellent. My climbing partners and I are planning "period" ascents of several 14ers this summer/fall: tweed jackets, tall axes, pipes, etc. All are welcome and I'll post an invite when we firm up our plans.

As a shameless plug, this book is right up the alley of my nascent blog, which celebrates all things alpine, and doubly celebrates integrating pipe smoking into the alpine. It's still in its youth but probably not the worst thing you'll find on the internets.

http://hikingandsmoking.tumblr.com/