Everest Attempt

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
gdthomas
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Everest Attempt

Post by gdthomas »

Since when is climbing Mt. Everest a competition? Otherwise, supplemental O2 might be considered doping and cheating. :roll:
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

gdthomas wrote:Since when is climbing Mt. Everest a competition? Otherwise, supplemental O2 might be considered doping and cheating. :roll:
Exactly, it isn't a contest. There aren't any rules. Who cares if someone uses O2? I don't think most people treat mountaineering as a competitive sport.
Guitarzan
14ers: 4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Guitarzan »

Did Sir Edmund and Tenzing cheat when they used O2? I think not.
"Pain don't hurt."- Patrick Swayze ROAD HOUSE
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Post by jdorje »

gearhunter wrote:By his same measure he should stop taking Fish Oil, using Creatine, and Protein Powder because they should be considered the same as using Steroids to boost the body's performance.
The reason steroids are banned (or the reason they should be banned) is that they are dangerous as hell. Comparing them to basic nutritional supplements, supplemental oxygen, proper training technique, or water consumption is nonsensical. The purpose of sport is to boost the body's performance.
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."
gearhunter
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gearhunter »

I think you missed my point completely.
winmag4582001
14ers: 28  5 
13ers: 28
Trip Reports (10)

Post by winmag4582001 »

jdorje wrote:
gearhunter wrote:By his same measure he should stop taking Fish Oil, using Creatine, and Protein Powder because they should be considered the same as using Steroids to boost the body's performance.
The reason steroids are banned (or the reason they should be banned) is that they are dangerous as hell. Comparing them to basic nutritional supplements, supplemental oxygen, proper training technique, or water consumption is nonsensical. The purpose of sport is to boost the body's performance.
There have been no scientific studies that conclude that steroids, test C, anadrol, d-bol, nanadrolone ect. are dangerous to your health. It is all 100% speculation. Sylvester Stalone has been on HGH for years, and aint looking too shabby for 65. IMO
Remember what they told us about weed back in the 80's? Causes cancer, shrinking of testicles, brain tumors.... :lol:
"Remember, you're unique, just like everybody else."
Bean
14ers: 45  45  10 
13ers: 9 4
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Bean »

Last edited by Bean on Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

winmag4582001 wrote: There have been no scientific studies that conclude that steroids, test C, anadrol, d-bol, nanadrolone ect. are dangerous to your health. It is all 100% speculation.
In case some teenager reads this and (also) hates science, just wanted to point out that there are scores of studies on humans and rats involving negative psychiatric effects alone. No further comment from me regarding that.
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

Dave B wrote:Mark Twight has some searing words on this topic,

http://coldthistle.blogspot.com/2013/01 ... to-us.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thesis: supplemental oxygen on 8000 meter peaks is the equivalent of doping, doping is the equivalent of cheating.
Interesting, but as possible retort: is scuba diving a form of doping?
Bean
14ers: 45  45  10 
13ers: 9 4
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Bean »

Last edited by Bean on Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com
gearhunter
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gearhunter »

Last weekend i blood doped with tequila and cheated on beer.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

gearhunter wrote:Last weekend i blood doped with tequila and cheated on beer.
Well, that explains the fascination with Bigfoot....
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"