Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Everest Attempt

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA.
User avatar
Posts: 2048
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:39 pm
Location: Edwards (Singletree), CO

Re: Everest Attempt

Postby gdthomas » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:09 pm

Since when is climbing Mt. Everest a competition? Otherwise, supplemental O2 might be considered doping and cheating. :roll:

Re: Everest Attempt

Postby Jon Frohlich » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:18 pm

gdthomas wrote:Since when is climbing Mt. Everest a competition? Otherwise, supplemental O2 might be considered doping and cheating. :roll:


Exactly, it isn't a contest. There aren't any rules. Who cares if someone uses O2? I don't think most people treat mountaineering as a competitive sport.

User avatar
Posts: 91
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:22 am

Re: Everest Attempt

Postby Guitarzan » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:28 pm

Did Sir Edmund and Tenzing cheat when they used O2? I think not.
"Pain don't hurt."- Patrick Swayze ROAD HOUSE

User avatar
Posts: 1110
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:33 pm
Location: Crestone, CO and/or Chapel Hill, NC

Re: Everest Attempt

Postby jdorje » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:36 pm

gearhunter wrote:By his same measure he should stop taking Fish Oil, using Creatine, and Protein Powder because they should be considered the same as using Steroids to boost the body's performance.


The reason steroids are banned (or the reason they should be banned) is that they are dangerous as hell. Comparing them to basic nutritional supplements, supplemental oxygen, proper training technique, or water consumption is nonsensical. The purpose of sport is to boost the body's performance.
-Jason Dorje Short

User avatar
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:15 pm
Location: Denver

Re: Everest Attempt

Postby gearhunter » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:47 pm

I think you missed my point completely.

User avatar
Posts: 265
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:50 pm
Location: Gross Reservoir, CO

Re: Everest Attempt

Postby winmag4582001 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:34 pm

jdorje wrote:
gearhunter wrote:By his same measure he should stop taking Fish Oil, using Creatine, and Protein Powder because they should be considered the same as using Steroids to boost the body's performance.


The reason steroids are banned (or the reason they should be banned) is that they are dangerous as hell. Comparing them to basic nutritional supplements, supplemental oxygen, proper training technique, or water consumption is nonsensical. The purpose of sport is to boost the body's performance.


There have been no scientific studies that conclude that steroids, test C, anadrol, d-bol, nanadrolone ect. are dangerous to your health. It is all 100% speculation. Sylvester Stalone has been on HGH for years, and aint looking too shabby for 65. IMO
Remember what they told us about weed back in the 80's? Causes cancer, shrinking of testicles, brain tumors.... :lol:
"Remember, you're unique, just like everybody else."-Joel Bernardini

Re: Everest Attempt

Postby Bean » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:29 pm

gearhunter wrote:Twight is an arrogant elitist.

And [edit] the Cold Thistle dude who's so supportive of the anti-O2 rant cheated against cancer by doping.
Last edited by Bean on Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

User avatar
Posts: 590
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:14 am
Location: Golden

Re: Everest Attempt

Postby madbuck » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:47 pm

winmag4582001 wrote:There have been no scientific studies that conclude that steroids, test C, anadrol, d-bol, nanadrolone ect. are dangerous to your health. It is all 100% speculation.


In case some teenager reads this and (also) hates science, just wanted to point out that there are scores of studies on humans and rats involving negative psychiatric effects alone. No further comment from me regarding that.

User avatar
Posts: 590
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:14 am
Location: Golden

Re: Everest Attempt

Postby madbuck » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:54 pm

Dave B wrote:Mark Twight has some searing words on this topic,

http://coldthistle.blogspot.com/2013/01/what-cheaters-have-done-to-us.html

Thesis: supplemental oxygen on 8000 meter peaks is the equivalent of doping, doping is the equivalent of cheating.


Interesting, but as possible retort: is scuba diving a form of doping?

Re: Everest Attempt

Postby Bean » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:12 pm

madbuck wrote:
Dave B wrote:Mark Twight has some searing words on this topic,

http://coldthistle.blogspot.com/2013/01/what-cheaters-have-done-to-us.html

Thesis: supplemental oxygen on 8000 meter peaks is the equivalent of doping, doping is the equivalent of cheating.


Interesting, but as possible retort: is scuba diving a form of doping?

Yes. Also, melting snow for water is cheating.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

User avatar
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:15 pm
Location: Denver

Re: Everest Attempt

Postby gearhunter » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:09 pm

Last weekend i blood doped with tequila and cheated on beer.

User avatar
Posts: 2258
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:36 pm
Location: Lakewood, CO

Re: Everest Attempt

Postby rijaca » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:27 pm

gearhunter wrote:Last weekend i blood doped with tequila and cheated on beer.


Well, that explains the fascination with Bigfoot....
"Spent a little time on the mountain
Spent a little time on the hill"

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests