Qandery Mountain Conditions?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Spatula
Trip Reports (0)

Qandery Mountain Conditions?

Post by Spatula »

I am fairly new to ForTEENers.com. Has anybody done Qandery mountain since around Christmas?

I was wondering if 2wd is good right now. How much extra miles?

I would appreciate gear advice too. Will chucks work for footwear now you think? I prefer chucks in dry conditions.
mts4602
14ers: 13 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Qandery Mountain Conditions?

Post by mts4602 »

:-k
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Hmm, new spelling.

You might find this useful:
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... ki=Include" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But! There's a lot more snow falling right now, so it will change.

I went through lots of pairs of Chucks back in my younger days, but I've never tried hiking in them. Boots would be a good idea, probably with gaiters and some kind of traction aid.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
seano732
14ers: 7  4 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by seano732 »

troll_2.jpg
troll_2.jpg (17.02 KiB) Viewed 1014 times
:-k
" I want to be more like the Ocean, no talking and all action"- Jane's Addiction
"Where is the love, to be found?"- Bob Marley
"It's just a ride..." Bill Hicks
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Post by jdorje »

Speaking of trolls...

You know who else wanted to invade high mountainous regions with little knowledge of the difficulties involved, but got some good advice to stick to the flatlands instead?
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."
seano732
Trip Reports (3)

Post by seano732 »

jdorje wrote:Speaking of trolls...

You know who else wanted to invade high mountainous regions with little knowledge of the difficulties involved, but got some good advice to stick to the flatlands instead?
TGC???
" I want to be more like the Ocean, no talking and all action"- Jane's Addiction
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Post by jdorje »

Dude. Don't insult the great camillo....it WILL come back to haunt you on the mountain.

But no. I meant Hitler, of course.
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."
seano732
Trip Reports (3)

Post by seano732 »

jdorje wrote:Dude. Don't insult the great camillo....it WILL come back to haunt you on the mountain.

But no. I meant Hitler, of course.

Of course. Or Hannibal. The dude on elephants, not the liver with chianti psycho. Peace. 8)
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

A thorough SnoSeal job on the Chucks will make them Qandery-worthy.
mrburns
14ers: 20 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (2)

Post by mrburns »

I think Chucks are overkill for Winter mountaineering in the lower 48. For Quandary Mountain Peak I would just wear some Chacos. Maybe after a couple of days acclimating at Advanced Base Camp you could switch over to trail runners, but Chucks? Way too much boot for CO 14ers.
"They've got the internet on computers now?" - H. Simpson
colokeith
14ers: 39  2 
13ers: 34 3
Trip Reports (7)

Post by colokeith »

mrburns wrote:I think Chucks are overkill for Winter mountaineering in the lower 48. For Quandary Mountain Peak I would just wear some Chacos. Maybe after a couple of days acclimating at Advanced Base Camp you could switch over to trail runners, but Chucks? Way too much boot for CO 14ers.
I think the best footwear for winter climbing in colorado is vibram five fingers with expedition weight wool socks.

* Warm feet with the wool socks
* You can use your toes to control speed in standing glissade
* easy transition from ice to rock in mixed climbing conditions
To climb is to push yourself in a way you might not normally imagine is possible. If your stamina, skill, and luck are sound you will get to stand on top. ... I realized that with climbing, I'd found something that nourished my soul and could forge me into a better version myself - Jim Davidson
Fisching
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 144 1
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Fisching »

Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."
"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."
"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."