Snow free trail running?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Vids
14ers: 11 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Snow free trail running?

Post by Vids »

Just wondering if anyone could give me an idea of trail conditions for some of the front range hiking trails, I am looking to do some trail running next weekend and would prefer a location that is free of snow. I'm thinking of Mount Falcon, Deer Creek Canyon, Green Mountain, one of those parks in the foothills.

Any info would be appreciated, thanks!
Tory Wells
14ers: 46 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (9)

Re: Snow free trail running?

Post by Tory Wells »

Deer Creek Canyon has a lot of ice in the canyon proper, then is hit and miss on the other trails depending on orientation and shade. Screw shoes or spikes would be helpful in the canyon. There's also some mud to contend with. I haven't been to Mt Falcon but I know from experience that it too will have ice in the shaded areas/north-facing aspects but will be mostly snow free. Green Mt has almost no shade so there shouldn't be any ice, except in maybe the most shaded of northern aspects, but even then you should not have to worry about ice or even much mud on Green.

I ran Matthews/Winters and Dakota Ridge last week and it was mostly dry, except for the north side of the Morrison Slide trail. Happy trails.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

White Ranch is almost all dry except for a few short patches of mud and ice. Not enough to be a big deal at all.
siop
Trip Reports (0)

Post by siop »

Apex always has a bit of ice on the Argos trail, but otherwise is mostly snow free. Matthew-Winters and North Table are also mostly snow free. I haven't been to Green Mountain in a bit, but its usually snow free, its just not my favorite trail. Last time I was at Falcon was about 2 weeks ago and it was mostly snowpacked. Probably not as bad now, but there are some shady spots that are probably still icy.
"because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing the lawn. climb that goddamn mountain" -jack kerouac

"here is your chance to find your own way. go on your own. be adventuresome. don't forever seek the easiest way. go the way you find. don't demand trail signs and sturdy bridges. don't demand we show you the mountains. see them and find them yourself. here's your chance to get lost, fall in the creek, find a beautiful place." -randy morgenson
XrunclimbskiX
14ers: 21 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by XrunclimbskiX »

I did North table yesterday and it is completely snow free. That may change with the little dusting of snow we are supposed to get tonight but I doubt it. Have fun!
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Post by SurfNTurf »

Jeffco Open Space recently went live with a trail conditions page. It's only a placeholder because we're in the process of redesigning the website, but the info is there.
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Lakewood Green Mountain was almost snow/ice/mud free yesterday. Just a little in the nose of switchbacks.
All the parking lots were jammed full by the time I finished late morning. Nice weather.

I saw some idiot cigarette butts on the trail. That place could ignite in a second.
FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

Mt. Sanitas (Boulder) was clear.

Didn't do them but Bear and Green Mtn looked like they had a little white action. I'm sure nothing that would stop one from running them still.
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?
VagabondSurveyor
14ers: 6 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by VagabondSurveyor »

Yup, ran at Deer Creek on Saturday, a bit muddy and a little icy/slushy snow in some areas.. I would consider it a snow free run..
pbakwin
14ers: 56 
13ers: 64
Trip Reports (19)

Post by pbakwin »

Snow is not an issue pretty much everywhere in City of Boulder mtn parks. Heil Ranch is also clear, which means that Hall is probably fine too. However, snow is predicted tonight.
Ridge runner
14ers: 49  12 
13ers: 100 1
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Ridge runner »

^Yeah, Hall Ranch was clear as of early this morning. Trails further north are pretty good too; Devils Backbone in Loveland and all the way up to Blue Sky/Coyote Ridge are dry.
doggler
14ers: 57  8 
13ers: 162 7
Trip Reports (25)

Post by doggler »

All COS trails are free of snow as well.