Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

2 sleeping pads?? (foam+regular)

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

2 sleeping pads?? (foam+regular)

Postby happymtnclimber » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:24 pm

debating whether to bring a foam pad and my exped downmat 7 to winter camp on 14ers. what do you all do? thats what i did on denali, but i realize that its a bit warmer here. thanks for sharing your ideas!

Re: 2 sleeping pads?? (foam+regular)

Postby USAKeller » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:38 pm

What degree sleeping bag do you use? I just use the Big Agnes Insulated Air Core full-length pad and a 0-deg down bag and it works just fine for stuff here in CO.
How long after arriving at someone's house is it appropriate to ask for the WiFi password?

Postby TomPierce » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:03 pm

OK, I'll be the heretic. I used only a single 4 season Thermarest on McKinley and did almost fine. I say "almost" because we were there for a couple of weeks (bad weather) and I think the moisture from inflating it eventually froze and caused some slow leaks. So on all but the last two days I was perfectly fine with the one pad. That was back in the day when Exped's were a twinkle in someone's eye. On those last two days I just laid out my clothes under my bag, which helped good enough, and it made my clothes toasty for dressing in the morning.

Scroll forward to the present day and I just use a winter-worthy Exped mat, the one with some down inside, and I do just fine in CO winters. But I also sleep with a balaclava on and at least long johns, sometimes more. I still tend to lay some clothes flat under my bag, but again that's just because putting on frigid clothes is a drag in the morning. Anyway, I sleep great, very warm.

Like USAKeller I've done fine over the years with one pad, but that's just me.

-Tom

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:27 pm

I do a fair amount of winter camping and use only an Exped Downmat 9. A bit heavy & bulky, but worth it IMO

Postby BlueKhan » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:33 pm

I'm not trying to hi-jack the thread but I'm just curious, anyone ever use their Big Agnes Q-core in the winter?

Postby GregMiller » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:51 pm

You might want to check out an earlier thread on the same topic:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=38472
I've been alright with just my Big Agnes insulated pad, but I've picked up a foam pad (thermarest z lite sol) for the additional insulation and to have as a backup 'just in case'.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

Postby lordhelmut » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:20 am

BlueKhan wrote:I'm not trying to hi-jack the thread but I'm just curious, anyone ever use their Big Agnes Q-core in the winter?

Yes - Q-Core is more than sufficient for sleeping on snow by itself in CO. They seem to geared more towards winter camping, as less of chance to pop, which is a problem I had with mine in summer. Damn comfortable piece of gear.