Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Peanut Butter & Co. - Make your own squeeze packs?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Peanut Butter & Co. - Make your own squeeze packs?

Postby scalba123 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:05 am

Jim Davies wrote:You could try 2x4 or 2x8 ziplock bags, although the order unit is 1000 for $23 or $32 (group buy, or else a lifetime supply). They also have 2x8 non-ziplock for $18/1000.

You may want to check out Costco or Sam's Club. Might be a little cheaper...

Postby EZSide » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:45 am

I've made small packs using my sealer-mealer machine. It doesn't care where you make a seal - take a bag and divide into smaller sizes. Not cheap and can be a pain to fill but works well and they are tough/durable.

Bill
"There are times when the most complicated actions are suddenly summed up, distilled, and strike you with illuminating clarity" - Maurice Herzog

Postby boudreaux » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:11 am

Justin's chocolate hazelnut butter blend isn't too bad tasting either, a 1.15 oz squeeze pack for 78 cents at Walmart. 180 calories per packet (fat cal 130) , 4g of protein. It's thick and squeezes out like a little turd, but tasty. I put a packet in the freezer for 30 min to see how hard it would be to squeeze out the contents, it was a little difficult but it warms up fast in your hands. I guess a field test will follow this up tomorrow.

The Honey PB packet is 46 cents @ 1.15 oz.
Last edited by boudreaux on Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ragin Cajun

Postby ezabielski » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:55 pm

d_baker wrote:
Jim Davies wrote:You could try 2x4 or 2x8 ziplock bags, although the order unit is 1000 for $23 or $32 (group buy, or else a lifetime supply). They also have 2x8 non-ziplock for $18/1000.

What is the advantage of these versus everyday ziplocs you can buy in the local grocery store?
I use freezer bags for cooking in (e.g., couscous & ramen) and they work great. Note: I do keep an empty mtn house (or something similar) to put the ziploc of hot water/food into to help keep it hot.
I put peanut butter in my oriental ramen all the time too.

Dex, personally I would put peanut butter into a snack bag zippy. Wouldn't be too hard to add chocolate, and it wouldn't be that hard to lick out the contents.

I have found small ziplock bags hard to find in stores. A larger ziplock bag would mean a lot of peanut butter!

Postby LuLuLuv » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:38 pm

You can find small ziploc baggies (several different sizes) at a craft store, such as Hobby Lobby or Michael's. They are usually located in the bead section/aisle. I have some that are about 2.5" x 4", there are some that are smaller too.

Previous