Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Four Great Traverses in Winter?

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Four Great Traverses in Winter?

Postby I Man » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:18 pm

Dave B wrote:
I Man wrote:A CO Legend recently told me that climbing in winter in CO will prepare you for anything on the planet

Except glacier travel.

haha he was talking weather/conditions wise! Yea, CO is severely lacking in glaciers...its probably my #1 complaint about the climbing opportunities we have. But hey, at least we have Ice, Snow, Rock and Altitude :?: \:D/

In many ways, due to CO's unique snowpack issues, doing the Bells, or Wilson or these traverses in winter can have a much higher objective hazard and risk then going after some of the big boys.
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

"I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.

Postby Scott P » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:06 pm

A CO Legend recently told me that climbing in winter in CO will prepare you for anything on the planet

Except glacier travel.

Or jungles. :-D Or hippos. While camping in a remote place in Africa, our tent got surrounded by a herd of hippos. So far it hasn't happened to us in Colorado. :-D
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby pvnisher » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:26 pm

If these traverses were in the Alps the question would be who will be the first to solo the traverses in winter in less than 2 days. Those guys are crazy. An entirely different league.

http://www.examiner.com/article/kilian-jornet-sets-speed-record-on-courmayeur-chamonix-crossing

Jornet who was solo in his attempt traveled from Courmayeur, Italy to the summit of Mont Blanc via the technical Innominata Ridge and back down the opposite side to Chamonix, France, 42 kilometers distance, in 8:42:57.

Jornet left Courmayeur 3:53 am from the church square (elevation of 1000 meters) and headed out across the Val Veny towards the Monzino Refuge. The next section of the route included crossing glacier en route to the Bivac de les Eccles (4041m).
After crossing the glacier, Jornet carefully navigated a tricky rappel and a difficult section of climbing along the Innominata Ridge which included climbing sections of V+ difficulty and 60 degree slopes. He crested the ridge and ended up breaking trail across the final snowfield reaching the roof of Western Europe in 6 hours and 17 minutes.

After a short five minute respite on the Mont Blanc summit (4810m), Jornet descended down to Chamonix (995m) in just 2 hours and 19 minutes.

"This is a record time, considering that normal expeditions which tackle this route take 3 days to do it."

Postby seano732 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:28 pm

RoanMtnMan wrote:I agree, capping those 4 traverses in winter would prepare one for a lot. The things it doesn't prepare for though are high altitude, technical ice, glacier travel and coastal range weather. However, one would be hard pressed to find a better training ground than Colorado in winter to toughen a climber. Our winds, temps, terrain, and dicey snowpack are a potpourri of nastiness.

Totally agree; but stepping off the boot pack into waist deep sugar kinda reminds me of punching through the Carbon, without the panic and thoughts of immediate death and/or dismemberment. On a separate note, you've finally given me the name for that garage band I always wanted to start: Ladies and Gentleman.... POTPOURRI of NASTINESS! :YY

Peace!
" I want to be more like the Ocean, no talking and all action"- Jane's Addiction
"Where is the love, to be found?"- Bob Marley
"It's just a ride..." Bill Hicks

Postby 12ersRule » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:28 pm

Scott P wrote:Or jungles. :-D Or hippos. While camping in a remote place in Africa, our tent got surrounded by a herd of hippos. So far it hasn't happened to us in Colorado. :-D

Once I was camping in Colorado and my tent got surrounded by a herd of hipsters! :shock:

Postby SilverLynx » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:33 pm

49ersRule wrote:
Scott P wrote:Or jungles. :-D Or hippos. While camping in a remote place in Africa, our tent got surrounded by a herd of hippos. So far it hasn't happened to us in Colorado. :-D

Once I was camping in Colorado and my tent got surrounded by a herd of hipsters! :shock:

Were you in the Gore Range? :wink:
"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."
~Nelson Mandela

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition."
~Steve Jobs

Postby wildlobo71 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:38 pm

I think he was in Loaded Joe's in Avon.
Bill W.
Yes, I have my Scotch.

Postby 12ersRule » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:42 pm

^ Am I a hipster? The answer is NO

Postby Tory Wells » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:06 pm

sgladbach wrote:I don't think anyone has attempted all four, but Aron did the Bells traverse.

Wow, that was just a month before his accident. Some perspective, there. Helluva feat though.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach

Postby awilbur77 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:26 pm

I know I am still far from the skill needed to try these 4 traverses in winter, but I am definitely crazy enough to think about it. Thanks for the new long term goal! I think I will try them solo while blindfolded though, just to make it challenging. \:D/
"Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing." - Hellen Keller
http://awilbur77.blogspot.com/

Postby mts4602 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:40 am

I Man wrote:CO's unique snowpack issues

I hear about this a lot on here, but I have no idea why this is the case (I'm from KY). Why is Colorado's snowpack different from Montana, Utah, the cascades...etc and how does this contribute to more avy prone conditions?
Matt

Postby I Man » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:43 am

mts4602 wrote:
I Man wrote:CO's unique snowpack issues

I hear about this a lot on here, but I have no idea why this is the case (I'm from KY). Why is Colorado's snowpack different from Montana, Utah, the cascades...etc and how does this contribute to more avy prone conditions?

The Cascades are near the coast and thus Maritime. Colorado is 'continental' which means that our snowpack is much dryer and less condensed. I believe Montana and Utah have the same issues, but less population and less people in the mountains.
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

"I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.

PreviousNext