Denali In Winter

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
planet54
14ers: 58 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (0)

Denali In Winter

Post by planet54 »

This is not about me for sure. Lonnie Dupre wants to become the only person to have summited Denali solo in January.
Sounds like severe brrr-age to me.

http://www.summitdaily.com/article/2012 ... ofile=1055" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by planet54 on Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H D Thoreau
dehrlich101
14ers: 46  2 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (21)

Re: Denali In Winter

Post by dehrlich101 »

No joke I actually met this guy on a hut trip this week. Didn't know he was famous.. He did mention that he was heading to Alaska to do some climbing and photography. Hope he does well.
I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in - Aldo Leopold

Support Colorado Search and Rescue - CORSAR Card

LOJ
kushrocks
14ers: 58  25 
13ers: 65 2
Trip Reports (5)

Post by kushrocks »

:shock: Wow!!! Go Lonnie Go
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."
RoanMtnMan
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (19)

Post by RoanMtnMan »

If you haven't read Minus 148 by Art Davidson you should. It is a great read and should convince most not to climb Denali in Winter. I think Naomi Uemura would agree. He had the first solo winter ascent back in Feb of 1984, then he died on the descent. Vern Tejas successfully completed the task in Mar of 88. The legendary Johnny Waterman, probably the most determined solo climber to ever set foot on the Kahiltna, disappeared during a winter solo attempt of the east face not long after his 145 day solo of Mt Hunter, and he didn't take one of those fancy bush planes, he left from his front door in Talkeetna on foot (about 60 tundra miles away). Climbing it successfully in Jan is so difficult because you only have about 2 hours of daylight, the winds are at their highest, and the snowpack is terrible. Navigating school bus sized crevasses in the dark is usually not that much fun.

It's amazing what risks you have to take to do something new in the mountains these days. 13 hours from 17,000 feet to the summit is a bit on the slow side so I am assuming no skis. We got up and down from 14,000 in 10 hours. If I was rolling solo through a crevasse field it seems like I would want to disperse my weight as much as possible and then be able to exit the mountain quickly if things got really bad. Also not sure why one would want to camp at 17k. That place is a wind tunnel death trap. A good place to hang out and acclimate for a few hours, but I can't imagine trying to camp there in January, when just a few hours lower you have a relatively comfy and protected camp at 14k. But what do I know. I do wish Lonnie great weather and better luck.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

http://www.CalebWrayPhotography.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jbchalk
Trip Reports (54)

Post by jbchalk »

Really hoping Lonnie is successful this time around! Our friends and current roommates, Elias de Andres Martos and his wife Bridget, were helping Lonnie with some mountaineering fundamentals and training this past week in Summit and on Vail Mtn as in the picture in the Summit Daily article. They speak very highly of the man and are good friends. Here's to hoping he is safe and successful!
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Post by jdorje »

"Tejas, who became a household name in Alaska in 1988 when he became the first climber to complete a solo winter ascent of Mount McKinley, returned to the summit of his beloved McKinley on Monday to break the world speed record for climbing the Seven Summits. He did it with two days to spare."

I'm guessing it wasn't "January".

Pretty interesting guy.
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."
planet54
Trip Reports (0)

Post by planet54 »

Only 9 expeditions (with a total of 16 climbers) have ever reached the summit of Denali in winter. Six deaths resulted from those climbs. Only one team (3 Russian climbers) has ever made the summit in January…the dead of winter. Of those 9 original expeditions, four were solo, but none of the solos were in January, the darkest and coldest time on the mountain.

^ From Lonnie's website
I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H D Thoreau
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Tejas' winter summit was pretty interesting...he climbed while strapped to an aluminum ladder to protect himself from crevasse falls. Dupre (according to the article) will use skis for the same purpose, which might not be as effective, but apparently Dupre has tried the ladder technique previously.

The first fatalities recorded on Denali were two skiers in 1932 who were attempting the second ascent; the successful second ascent party the same year found their tracks leading to a hole through the snow into a crevasse.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
RoanMtnMan
Trip Reports (19)

Post by RoanMtnMan »

Jim Davies wrote:Tejas' winter summit was pretty interesting...he climbed while strapped to an aluminum ladder to protect himself from crevasse falls. Dupre (according to the article) will use skis for the same purpose, which might not be as effective, but apparently Dupre has tried the ladder technique previously.

The first fatalities recorded on Denali were two skiers in 1932 who were attempting the second ascent; the successful second ascent party the same year found their tracks leading to a hole through the snow into a crevasse.
Lonnie seems to be ditching his skis at 11,000. I think I would want mine to at least 14K as there are still a lot of giant crevasses all the way to ABC. The ladder technique was cleaver but not practical. Even in winter, speed is safety. The conventional wisdom for the West Butt route is a little flawed in my opinion, especially for folks that are obviously as skilled as Lonnie. I do admire his attempt. 99.9999% of the world can't imagine how much hard work and how cold it's going to be. I am not sure constructing an ice cave at 17k in the dark is possible, or in the light for that matter, but again, fit people shouldn't be staging from 17k. It took me 6 desperate days in a storm up there to figure that one out.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

http://www.CalebWrayPhotography.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
planet54
Trip Reports (0)

Post by planet54 »

Lonnie is at 14,200 feet,a significant number for us. Stay tuned the opportunity to summit is coming up in the next several days.

http://www.oneworldendeavors.com/2013/01/22/14-2k-camp/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kushrocks
14ers: 58  25 
13ers: 65 2
Trip Reports (5)

Post by kushrocks »

This is beyond awesome.

Here is a link to the weather he is looking at over the next few days. Looks like Saturday might provide a cold and windy but clear weather window.

http://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/ ... casts/6194" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."
RoanMtnMan
Trip Reports (19)

Post by RoanMtnMan »

Denali forecasts are about as accurate as a blind man with a slingshot. Using that forecast though, Monday looks way better than Saturday. The wind will kill you up there. Flash frozen seems like a bad way to go out.