Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Peanut Butter & Co. - Make your own squeeze packs?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Peanut Butter & Co. - Make your own squeeze packs?

Postby Dex » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:32 pm

I came across this recently at Walmart - 68 cents a pack in reg and dark choc.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Peanut-Butter-Co.-Dark-Chocolate-Dreams-Peanut-Butter-1.15-oz/20746458

Does anyone have a suggestion for what you can use for make your own squeeze packs for things like peanut butter?

I was thinking about those small gylcine bags used for nickle bags back in the day. But I don't know where to buy them and they weren't too durable.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Re: Peanut Butter & Co. - Make your own squeeze packs?

Postby yedi » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:06 pm

Are you looking for something disposable, or reusable? A reusable idea might be GoToobs, from Human Gear. They're made of a food-grade silicone and are BPA free. Aren't supposed to use them with almond butter, though.

Postby Jim Davies » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:24 pm

You could try 2x4 or 2x8 ziplock bags, although the order unit is 1000 for $23 or $32 (group buy, or else a lifetime supply). They also have 2x8 non-ziplock for $18/1000.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby Dex » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:38 pm

yedi wrote:Are you looking for something disposable, or reusable? A reusable idea might be GoToobs, from Human Gear. They're made of a food-grade silicone and are BPA free. Aren't supposed to use them with almond butter, though.

I looked at those - looks like too much work to fill and clean. Then there is that last bit of peanut butter around the top you couldn't get to and there your are standing around sticking your tongue in and around the tube.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby Dex » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:40 pm

Jim Davies wrote:You could try 2x4 or 2x8 ziplock bags, although the order unit is 1000 for $23 or $32 (group buy, or else a lifetime supply). They also have 2x8 non-ziplock for $18/1000.

Thanks those 2x4 look like the right size.

I found these on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/100-Clear-Plastic-Ziplock-Bags/dp/B006ZREJMC/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1358893982&sr=8-12&keywords=2%22+x+4%22+2+mil+Ziplock+Bags

I also found these.
http://www.amazon.com/10-Pack-U-Fill-Snack-Pack-Refillable/dp/B00AMHSR0Q

But I like the disposable ones better.
Montani Semper Liberi

Postby GregMiller » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:43 pm

I use these:

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___23124

Work well for me, I know I've kept peanut butter in them for a couple years, just adding more as I got low. They're overkill (size-wise) for 14ers, but good for longer trips, and for keeping in your pack as a "I know I'll always have enough" source, if you don't mind extra weight.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

Postby nicholasblee » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:02 pm

I came across these recently. A little bigger than I'd like to take on runs but decent size for backpacking.

http://www.littlegreenpouch.com/

Postby Dex » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:28 pm

nicholasblee wrote:I came across these recently. A little bigger than I'd like to take on runs but decent size for backpacking.

I saw those in my search. I was questioning if the tube was too small to get the peanut butter out.
Montani Semper Liberi

Postby nicholasblee » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:59 pm

Dex wrote:I saw those in my search. I was questioning if the tube was too small to get the peanut butter out.

Yeah it's tough to tell from the pics.

Postby painless4u2 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:44 pm

farcedude wrote:

I have used these before filling them with Nutella, but noticed that they somehow leach out oils through the plastic as they are always greasy. They're also messy to load up. I ended up throwing them away. :(
In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9

Bad decisions often make good stories.

Postby d_baker » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:54 pm

Jim Davies wrote:You could try 2x4 or 2x8 ziplock bags, although the order unit is 1000 for $23 or $32 (group buy, or else a lifetime supply). They also have 2x8 non-ziplock for $18/1000.

What is the advantage of these versus everyday ziplocs you can buy in the local grocery store?
I use freezer bags for cooking in (e.g., couscous & ramen) and they work great. Note: I do keep an empty mtn house (or something similar) to put the ziploc of hot water/food into to help keep it hot.
I put peanut butter in my oriental ramen all the time too.

Dex, personally I would put peanut butter into a snack bag zippy. Wouldn't be too hard to add chocolate, and it wouldn't be that hard to lick out the contents.

Postby Dex » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:05 am

d_baker wrote:

What is the advantage of these versus everyday ziplocs you can buy in the local grocery store?
I use freezer bags for cooking in (e.g., couscous & ramen) and they work great. Note: I do keep an empty mtn house (or something similar) to put the ziploc of hot water/food into to help keep it hot.
I put peanut butter in my oriental ramen all the time too.

Dex, personally I would put peanut butter into a snack bag zippy. Wouldn't be too hard to add chocolate, and it wouldn't be that hard to lick out the contents.

For me it is the size of the regular size zip locks vs the smaller ones. Like the Gu packets I just want 2 oz or so to take with me to squeeze in my mouth. With the larger Zip Lock bags the 2 0z would get al around the bag and more difficult to get into me.

Thanks for all the replies.
Montani Semper Liberi

Next