Baldy Alto / San Luis Ridge?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Dancesatmoonrise
14ers: 58  43 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (68)

Baldy Alto / San Luis Ridge?

Post by Dancesatmoonrise »

Anyone been over Baldy Alto, taking the ridge to San Luis Peak? Does it go? Class 2 or Class 3? How is that section just south of Baldy Alto?

Thanks!
aaronmojica
14ers: 23  4 
13ers: 14 2
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Baldy Alto / San Luis Ridge?

Post by aaronmojica »

Ha! Was just discussing giving this a try with a buddy of mine.
sgladbach
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 710 37
Trip Reports (29)

Post by sgladbach »

Summer or winter? It goes very easily in the summer and is a common way to get from Stewart to San Luis.

Last winter, I camped at the base of San Luis, climbed it, and then went over Baldy Alto to get Stewart. Reversed for return. Original TH (B4 camp-out) was
Equity mine.
"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
Dancesatmoonrise
Trip Reports (68)

Aaron and Steve, thanks!

Aaron, I'll send a pm. -Jim
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

I've done it the other way, traversing over to Baldy Alto after summiting San Luis, then dropping into the gully between them and eventually returning to Stewart Creek.

Nothing particularly difficult about it, as I recall. It goes 2, with the hardest part going down the gully.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

We did that in summer as well, no issues. San Luis to Baldy Alto to Stewart. We descended Stewart into Nutras Creek and hiked back up the road to the Stewart Creek TH. You do that same thing with a car shuttle if you didn't want to trudge back up the road. Made a nice loop and got to explore 2 drainages :-D
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (18)

Post by Kiefer »

Jim.
The whole thing is nothing more than class 2+. Very easy rolling, grassy slopes. I hiked it from the north from the Cebolla Trailhead.
It was a LONG drive to get there but the trailhead starts out fairly high to begin with, just under treeline actually.
It's almost a straight shot south to Stewart across class-1 and class 2 terrain.

We had planned on taking the ridge all the way south to San Luis but I developed a nasty migraine on Baldy Alto.
Instead, we descended into Stewart Creek via that gully Matt referred to. It was REALLY wide. Easy descent.
Made a clearing in the grass & slept under some trees for pseudo-shelter that night and changed our plans the next morning as you'll see from the attachment.
No probs with that ridge. The ridge was of course the plan, but considering how beautiful things transpired the next day, I'm rather glad
things DID change. Cochetopa Creek and Bondholder Creek still rank as some of the most prisitine, beautiful places I've seen in Colorado. :-D
La Garita
La Garita
San-Luis-Peak.jpg (303.71 KiB) Viewed 510 times
Last edited by Kiefer on Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I Man
14ers: 58  49 
13ers: 74 7
Trip Reports (30)

Post by I Man »

Jim - When are you going for this? I would be interested in a 2 day trip to get San Luis & Stewart.
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.
Dancesatmoonrise
Trip Reports (68)

Thanks for all the great responses!

Here's how it looks in winter. At least, the mild conditions as of yesterday.