Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Backcountry Film Fest Jan 24

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Backcountry Film Fest Jan 24

Postby Carl » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:31 am

Friends of Berthoud Pass is hosting Winter Wildlands Alliance’s Backcountry Film Festival Thursday January 24th at the Oriental Theater in Highlands (4335 W. 44th Ave) to raise money for avalanche awareness and education. It's a great collection of six or seven short films, including one on a team of pro skiers out of their element climbing Denali, another about a skier who rocks the sit ski after a paralyzing accident, and a clip from Further. Show starts at 8pm but we're opening the doors at 6 so there is amble opportunity to spend time with our beer sponsor Upslope. We'll have a food truck out front. Got a bunch of great raffle items, including Black Diamond skis donated by Wilderness Exchange, a BCA beacon and pack, $200 gift card for tunes at Edgeworks, outerwear from Dynafit and Flylow, Black Diamond avy shovel, a Silverton unguided ticket, Mountain Khakis gift card, Sierra Trading Post gift card, etc.

$10 tickets at the door or in advance https://holdmyticket.com/checkout/event/128221. Show is open to all ages.

See you there!

Re: Backcountry Film Fest Jan 24

Postby MtnChick » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:53 pm

I'll check with my publicist. I am VERY busy and important.

Postby Carl » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:18 pm

MtnChick wrote:I'll check with my publicist. I am VERY busy and important.

If that's what you can convince people so they'll buy more raffle tickets from you, great! In case that fails, we'll continue to work on making sure we've got a solid amount of prizes.

Mammut just kicked in a pack, shovel, and probe.

Postby jmc5040 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:44 pm

Thanks for posting Carl, just got my ticket. Looking forward to all the films, some of which I haven't seen yet!
"My senses become heightened and the stresses of life fade with each step I take further from civilization. When I'm in the wilderness my brain and body work seamlessly together to do their finest work - a single flowing track down one of natures high peaks." - Jeremy Jones

Postby jmc5040 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:46 am

Is there any reason that tickets will not be available at the door for this event? I have two friends that are planning on coming as well. Thanks
"My senses become heightened and the stresses of life fade with each step I take further from civilization. When I'm in the wilderness my brain and body work seamlessly together to do their finest work - a single flowing track down one of natures high peaks." - Jeremy Jones

Postby Carl » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:59 am

jmc5040 wrote:Is there any reason that tickets will not be available at the door for this event? I have two friends that are planning on coming as well. Thanks

Capacity is 700 so it's unlikely we'll sell out (seating capacity is half that maybe). Although last week when I thought we would fill Wilderness Exchange for an avy class we not only filled it but had it packed with folks standing the entire time and I turned away maybe 40 folks who couldn't fit in the door. Unfortunate for those who came out and couldn't get in but a cool problem to have. And between us and WildyX there are plenty more options for free avy classes.

Hopefully folks come early anyway, ensuring they can get a ticket, and hang out before the show. We've got a lot of Upslope! Come find me and say hello.

Postby MtnChick » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:03 pm

Word on the street is there is a segment on skiing Denali....that should please a few of our Climbebrities around here....

Postby Carl » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:56 pm

BUMP. The marquee at the Oriental is set...

Postby ajkagy » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:42 pm

I went to the showing in Crested Butte awhile ago. While I had already seen some of the films, it was definitely fun and the raffle made it worthwhile. Also I believe our beer sponsor was Oskar blues and it was pretty cheap. The money also goes to a great cause so it's a win/win for everybody.
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby wheresgibbs » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:02 pm

This is in the 'hood, I'll be there for sure!

Postby Obese_goat » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:10 pm

Its official I'm working a few hours tonight so I can attend tomorrow! Should be sick. I won some dope ass goggles in the raffle last year. Hopefully my good juju continues! See ya there! =)
“The mountain has left me feeling renewed, more content and positive than I’ve been for weeks, as if something has been given back after a long absence, as if my eyes have opened once again. For this time at least, I’ve let myself be rooted in the unshakable sanity of the senses, spared my mind the burden of too much thinking, turned myself outward to experience the world and inward to savor the pleasures it has given me.”
― Richard Nelson

"Going to the mountains is going home.”
― John Muir

https://www.theclymb.com/invite-from/StevoMagaa

Postby Vermont Refugee » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:24 pm

You need to stretch these functions out to the poor cousins in Colroado Springs. Sounds like good fun in a down snow year.
That's some catch that catch 22

Next