Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Sierra Avalanche Center Avalanche video 12/29/12

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Sierra Avalanche Center Avalanche video 12/29/12

Postby Scotzman » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:30 pm

Just saw this shortened clip; checked out the website and the full version is available also. Amazing footage!
http://cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/us/2013/01/18/vo-skier-burried-in-avalanche.sierra-avalanche-center.html

Their website with the full video and recap:
http://www.sierraavalanchecenter.org/node/3156
Scotzman
Every man dies, not every man really lives.
What we do in life echoes in eternity.

Re: Sierra Avalanche Center Avalanche video 12/29/12

Postby Brimstone10 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:44 pm

I watched the full lenght video a few weeks ago and its Amazing in the fact that they act like nothing is wrong and take their sweet time getting to him. If that was me, I probably wouldn't be skiing with them anymore after seeing this. The guy actually tells her to take her time.

Postby RobertPetrowsky » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:56 am

I really hope the groups I see skiing East Vail like this see the video and change their habits. I have worked too many skier deaths back there over the years because of poor planning.

Postby Bean » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:28 am

Already discussed, and an appropriate course of action decided on (kicking everyone involved in the crotchal-region).

viewtopic.php?t=38626
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby nyker » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:25 pm

Brimstone10 wrote:I watched the full lenght video a few weeks ago and its Amazing in the fact that they act like nothing is wrong and take their sweet time getting to him. If that was me, I probably wouldn't be skiing with them anymore after seeing this. The guy actually tells her to take her time.

Yea, was this maybe a drill/avy training? They were very nonchalant about it...or maybe just very hardened off to seeing so many avalanches that it was just commonplace?

Postby TallGrass » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:04 am

Brimstone10 wrote:they act like nothing is wrong and take their sweet time getting to him

There's a fine, but distinct, line between someone being nonchalant, having professional detachment (e.g. cool-headed doc in the ER, or SAR), or keeping yourself together and projecting calm for others (social contagion) even though your insides maybe be going haywire -- and all may look the same on the outside. Given what the buried guy said, "The truth is, I am proud of the way he, a novice at avalanche rescue, handled the situation. He knew that the female skier was panicking and had to keep her calm. He knew that the whole party shouldn't descend to the burial site. He left two people on the ridge to watch the hangfire. Then he descended to the burial site with a partner, one at a time, in a controlled manner." I'd give the guy the benefit of the doubt. Can you imagine what it'd be like to be him, or to have to Escape the Belay on your first time out rock climbing? I'm sure many here have been in a training setting that all of the sudden "got real" and a folks with a mixed bag of experiences do their best to keep focused, calm, and even inject some (dark) humor to keep the stress of the situation from eclipsing themself or others -- I know I have.
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink: