Annual Grizzly Peak Winter Ascent

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
FFLpilot
14ers: 2 
13ers: 6 3
Trip Reports (0)

Annual Grizzly Peak Winter Ascent

Post by FFLpilot »

This time solo.

Took leave of skiing with the family to take advantage of the bluebird skies en route to Grizzly via Loveland. The last attempt was in the wicked-nasty sub-zero temps of a few weeks ago, so Sunday's teens were a welcome respite. For those people looking for an intro to winter mountain climbing (hiking, really, in this case), the ridgeline above Loveland Pass is a very accessible location, and there are usually people around. This was the first time I'd ever actually wished I had crampons, as the last 600' pitch to the summit I had to kick-step through the numerous sections of windblown boilerplate. I was the only person up there today which surprised me, as the skiing is.. uhhh, let's say marginal?

One image from today, and you can find a few more here:

http://jeffwarnerphoto.com/2013/01/20/1 ... y-peak-co/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers!

J\V
Attachments
010_130120-5D_15171-blog-GrizzlySOLO.jpg
010_130120-5D_15171-blog-GrizzlySOLO.jpg (347.39 KiB) Viewed 775 times
"My $0.02 in a world where pennies are obsolete..."
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Annual Grizzly Peak Winter Ascent

Post by susanjoypaul »

Nice... I soloed Grizzly and Cupid on Saturday, and was really feeling pretty full of myself until a guy passed me on the way down - the same guy who had passed me on the way up! I asked where he had disappeared to since I didn't see him on the summit, and it turns out he had run on up to Torreys, as well. Had to bale on Grays, he said, due to the lateness of the hour.

Those tall skinny guys with the tiny little packs and the micro-spiked trailrunners just kill me :-D
lurker
14ers: 51  5 
13ers: 100
Trip Reports (1)

Post by lurker »

Susan,

He passed us as well as we were going up Torreys and then passed us on his way down as we were still going up.
Some people are impressive.

sean
The Mountains are Calling, and I must Go.
--John Muir
FFLpilot
14ers: 2 
13ers: 6 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by FFLpilot »

Wow, that is impressive. Fun stuff!