Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Gaitor repair?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Gaitor repair?

Postby nyker » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:51 am

Aside from duct tape, what is the best way to repair tears/rips in gaitors? Got a few decent sized rips in my OR verglass gaitors. #-o

Re: Gaitor repair?

Postby TomPierce » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:02 am

There's also that iron-on ripstop repair tape, but it's pretty thin stuff (more for tents/bags?) and I suspect it wouldn't last that long, given the abuse gaitors take. Short of safety pins, all I can think of is taking them to a decent gear repair shop and having them stitched up.
-Tom

Postby kushrocks » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:07 am

nyker wrote:Aside from duct tape, what is the best way to repair tears/rips in gaitors? Got a few decent sized rips in my OR verglass gaitors. #-o

I have had the same pice of duct tape on mine for about 2 years now. It looks a little cheap but its been an awesome and cheap fix.
" The two most important days in your life are the day you were born, and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
"Danger in Alpinism is just part of the game. As soon as you eliminate the danger you have just every other sport." Febrizio Zangrilli
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
"To travel, to experience and learn, that is to live" - Sherpa Tensing Norgay (first person to Summit Mt. Everest)
"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit" - Edward Abbey
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."

Postby GregMiller » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:19 am

You might try some aquaseal

Postby ElFuegoDelaMuerte » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:26 am

I use climbing tape on the inside of the gaiter. My last pair acquired some "speed holes" early in their career and the climbing tape held up until the "replaceable" instep straps both broke. I tried to buy replacements, but everywhere I went they looked at me like I was crazy, and like I was the first person to ever look for them. Anyway, a couple friends of mine have tried iron on patches, and various other fixes but nothing worked as well as the tape.

Postby d_baker » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:35 am

kushrocks wrote:
nyker wrote:Aside from duct tape, what is the best way to repair tears/rips in gaitors? Got a few decent sized rips in my OR verglass gaitors. #-o

I have had the same pice of duct tape on mine for about 2 years now. It looks a little cheap but its been an awesome and cheap fix.

Duct tape has worked for me too, for about the same amount of time or maybe more. Key is to tape both sides (i.e., inside & outside) of gaitor.

Postby kaiman » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:56 pm

I used some matching colored nylon thread (fairly thick stuff) and a heavy sewing needle to stitch up the crampon holes I put in my old OR Verglass gaiters. Now I am rocking a pair of the OR Expedition gaiters and they seem pretty impenetrable to everything.
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; look well to each step; and from the beginning think what may be the end."

- Edward Whymper

Postby tommelch » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:08 pm

My OR crocodiles tore also at the strap insertion. I used some fabric adhesive from the hardware store, and put on several coats, and let it completely cure.
Probably similar to Aquaseal, but thinner. Never a problem since.

Postby Dex » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:29 pm

I've made the repairs from the inside using shoe goo and duct tape - it hold very well.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby RoanMtnMan » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:17 pm

Thick nylon thread, needle, thimble, and some Seam Seal are a staple in my repair kit. From gaiters to down jackets, this combo works well for me.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby yedi » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:30 am

If you don't need them immediately, you might try contacting OR to fix them. I tore up a pair of expedition crocodiles and asked OR about them. They asked me to send them in and they would repair them for free. Before I could ship them back I lost them and let OR know that I wouldn't be sending them in. They told me not to worry about it and sent me a brand new pair of gaiters for free. Fantastic customer service.