Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Gear list used for Mt. Sherman tomorrow

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Gear list used for Mt. Sherman tomorrow

Postby zephyr_pelicante » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:31 am

I'm climbing Mt. Sherman tomorrow, first winter 14er, with 2 others (who have done winter 14ers before). Below is my gear, some of which I will buy today. Please let me know if I am missing anything crucial:

Upper body:
* Smartwool shirt
* Underarmour cold gear compression (long sleeved)
* Athletic works shell. Filling: down & feathers (thick and warm, don't know rating)

Lower body:
* Nike pro dri-fit underwear
* Duofold Midweight Ankle Length Bottom With Moisture Wicking
* Water proof pants (will buy at REI today)

Feet:
* 1 pair foxriver merino wool socks
* 1 pair smartwool socks (will buy at REI today)
* Columbia "200 gram" bugaboot omniheat
* Atlas waterproof gators
* Microspikes

Head:
* 1 nylon beanie
* 1 cotton beanie
* Hood on coat
* Ski goggles (will buy at REI today)
* Underarmour Face mask

Hands:
* Mittens (will buy at REI today)

Pack:
* Outdoor products daypack w/ camelbak taken out
* 1x1L and 1X0.5L nalgene where camelbak used to be
* Snacks in coat pockets (so they won't freeze)

Thanks so much for any feedback!!!!!!!!!

Re: Gear list used for Mt. Sherman tomorrow

Postby mtngoat » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:39 am

Ditch the cotton beanie and get a microfleece beanie. As a general rule, avoid cotton in cold-active pursuits - any hint of sweat and it starts to get cold.

Other than that I would say, waterproof pants are probably not necessary but a good nylon shell pant (ski pant or backcountry pant) would work fine. If they are waterproof, all the better but as you climb they never breathe as much as you hope.

Mits with liner gloves are useful so you can remove hands for dexterity without them freezing completely.

Have a Good climb and be safe!
-Dave

If your life's work can be completed within your lifetime - you are not thinking big enough.

Postby Doug Shaw » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:44 am

I'd concur with not worry about waterproofness for high-altitude winter activities in CO. In fact, the poor breathability will become a detriment as you sweat and they become clammy. Just get a decent pair of synthetic or softshell pants; coupled with thermal/synthetic bottoms you'll likely be fine. Your legs are usually working pretty well while climbing and and can stay fine in some cold conditions.

If the outer pants have a cinchable ankle cuff, a lot of times you can even get by without gaiters.

Postby boudreaux » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:00 pm

You could get a balaclava or a neck gaiter. I wore capilene long underwear and 2 shirts, one light and one heavy weight capilene. Then bike pants and topped with fleece pants and a wind layer if needed in reserve. Torso was light weight fleece and heavyweight fleece with a wind layer and a heavy coat if things got really brutal. I had glove liners under my heavy gloves, but I hear having mittens is the best thing to cover them all in serious cold conditions. I like to wear two pairs of socks and I wrap that up in a plastic bag before putting my shoes on, something I learned from riding my bike in the really cold weather. If your boots aren't waterproof, simply duck tape the exposed parts completely around and you'll be fine. Duck tape is very cheap and you get a lot compared to a spray on bottle!
Ragin Cajun

Postby pvnisher » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:29 pm

The first thing I'd say is to add to your handwear collection. For a winter 14er, 3 pair is what I'd carry:
-thin running-style gloves
-medium weight softshell/leather/work gloves. Lightly insulated
-ski-weight gloves or mittens

You'll likely want something on your hands at nearly all times, but you won't be using the big mittens that often.

Hands, feet, and ears are things that you have to take care of. You can suffer through other things, but when your hands or feet are blocks of ice, you'll turn around (or you should).

Postby zephyr_pelicante » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:38 pm

Sweet. Yeah I picked up everything I needed at big 5 (maybe not the best place but whatever)

Got some merino wool socks, thermal head/face liner, (thin) glove liners and big gloves, winter pants and ski goggles.

Postby boudreaux » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:18 pm

Nice, try not to freeze anything off and let us know how it goes!
Ragin Cajun

Postby TomPierce » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:11 pm

I just returned home from doing Sherman today, a fitness outing, just more interesting than going jogging.

I've been up there many times in the winter, and although your conditions look pretty good tomorrow, the defining characteristic of that mountain is wind. Occasionally very cold too, but the wind is near constant once you reach the saddle and start the slog up to the top. I'm not familiar with the balaclava you mention, but I hope it's the full face kind. IMO the wind on Sherman typically blows W>E, at least in the morning, meaning it'll be right in your face as you ascend (assuming you start at the Four Mile Creek TH). Sometimes a full face balaclava is all that makes things tolerable. I also agree mittens or mitten shells would be good, your fingers may get cold even on a warm day when you're high on the mountain.

I didn't notice poles. By no means all that important on a mountain like Sherman, but if your boots are soft and you have weaker ankles (I do, too many injuries) you might appreciate them. Finally, while goggles are nice in bad weather, today the sun was unrelenting and lately many goggles have one lens for all conditions, i.e. it may not be dark enough for sustained full-on sun. You might want some dark sunglasses.

Finally, finally: Get this: You can now drive almost all the way to the summer TH if you have an AWD SUV (or even a Subaru wagon...) There were 6-8 vehicles up there at the ice floe right below the locked gate. I was shocked, I'd never seen them that high on the road in "winter."

Have a great time, Sherman is a great place to start winter 14'ering, IMO easy to retreat if necessary.

-Tom

Postby B[3] » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:12 pm

I usually take a scarf in addition to a wool hat and a balaclava--I don't always end up wearing the scarf, but it's nice to have that extra face protection when it's really windy. I actually like my waterproof, insulated snow pants in the winter (as long as the temperature isn't too much above freezing, I don't have a problem with the breathability)--I wear them over nylons and find it makes for a much more pleasant glissade.

I finally bought a water bottle parka (OR) for my nalgene and was quite impressed when I tried it--it strapped onto the waist belt of my pack and was easy to access (I got tired of having to take off my pack to access my water).

Have fun!
Learn from the mistakes of others--you can never live long enough to make them all yourself.--Unknown
Don't chase your dreams, catch them.--Unknown

Postby ThuChad » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:36 pm

I did it yesterday and I couldn't stay cool until I hit the ridge. Then it quite chilly with the wind. No exposed skin.

Postby zephyr_pelicante » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:47 pm

Thanks for the info. We mostly stuck to the summer route but gained the Sherman ridge a bit above the saddle so we were out of the wind for a while longer.

It was a consistent 20mph wind up on the ridge and I was happy that my gear held up alright. We got over to Sheridan too and were able to glissade most of the way down.

Hope to climb Torreys, Silverheels, Quandary and Princeton this winter.

Postby TomPierce » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:53 pm

What...it was windy on Sherman today?!? Who woulda thunk?? :lol:

Great job! Glad it worked out OK. Congrats!
-Tom

Next