Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Another Texan in Colorado - Looking for Partners

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Another Texan in Colorado - Looking for Partners

Postby Wookie Horn » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:55 pm

Hi 14ers.com,

After years of making pilgrimages to Colorado for long weekends hiking 14ers, good fortune finally allowed my wife and I to move to Boulder this summer. I have been lurking as a "guest" on 14ers.com for a long time - enjoying the threads and the great route beta. But now that I have CO plates, I thought it was time to become a real member. Most of the time, when I can't convince my wife to come along, I hike solo, but would love to find partners especially in winter.

I love all levels of hiking and live for big mileage/elevation days. I am comfortable on hikes up to 4th class and basic snow/glacier travel. I am interested in growing my skills and getting out more often now that CO is home. With a 4x4 Jeep and many Friday's off when I am not traveling for work, I hope to get to hike with many new friends.

I will be in RMNP trying to go up Taylor B via Andrew's Glacier on Saturday and maybe something else on Sunday. If there is anyone interested in 14ers/13ers on Sunday or next weekend (1/25-1/27) hit me up. I am pretty agreeable to just about anything.

-Brian (the wookie)

Re: Another Texan in Colorado - Looking for Partners

Postby geojed » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:13 pm

Welcome Brian! I escaped Houston 1.5yrs ago and have enjoyed every minute of it. I have similar interests as yours, chk out my TRs to get a flavor. Since I have 2 boys I only try to hike about every 3 weeks or so. I'll wave at you from Longs tmrw!

Postby chrismjx » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:43 pm

+1

I moved to Denver from Fort Worth so I know where you're coming from! Welcome to the good life...

Postby Wookie Horn » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:37 pm

Thanks for the welcome Geo and Chrismjx,

Living in CO is definitely the good life. It took me too long to get here. Must make up for lost time! Let me know when you have a chance to get out and lets go climb something!

-Brian

Postby Harvester » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:25 am

Hey Wookie Brian,

Welcome to Colorful Colorado, I dig your avatar. I've been here since 95 from the midwest flatlands, can no longer imagine anything else. Good luck, see you maybe.

Postby SolarAlex » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:57 am

welcome man, i came from houston 3 years ago. if you are like me, you wont be itching to get back there any time soon!

Postby Wookie Horn » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:52 pm

Thanks for the welcomes, Harvester and SolarA.

Harvester - you avatar looks more like how I looked today trying to get up Mt. Lady Washington. 40-50 mph winds and higher gusts put some tangles in the Wookie's fur. Me and Mrs. Wookie (aka the Donkey once she gets a 14ers.com account) agree, we ain't ever leaving CO. We may be native Texans but its not our fault we weren't born in CO.

SolarAlex- I am native Houstonian, who moved away, then moved back, and then ran like h*ll for CO. I still travel back there for work and everytime I go back I am amazed that city and lifestyle was ever part of my life. I am happy to know that Baby Wookie (aka Ewok in a few more years) will be born in Boulder and not the second fattest city in the US!

All I will miss are Texas Longhorn football games and tailgates...which aint much to miss these days.

See ya'll in the mountains!
Brian

Postby shearmodulus » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:29 pm

Wookie Horn -

I had the (mis)fortune to be stationed in central Texas, far, far away from snow and mountains. Texas has a lot of nice features, but those two things aren't one of them. I've climbed Guadelupe Peak and Enchanted Rock - and "meh" is about all I can say about those.

All that being said, I love being in Colorado in the mountains. I'm a CL III, CL IV climber, working on CL V routes in the gym. I'm always down for long, cold slogs in all conditions, so hit me up. I'm based in Colorado Springs, but can and will drive all over for climbing/backpacking trips.

A fellow ex-Texas resident.
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads...."

Postby Wookie Horn » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:26 am

Hi Shear - thanks for the welcome. We share another commonality, both working for/with US Army. I am on the road traveling to flat lands for work over the next two weeks :( but will be looking to get out when I get home to CO. I will hit you up with some ideas. In the mean time [-o< for snow!

-Brian