Camping permit for Boulderfield...01/19

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Steve Climber
14ers: 27  3 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (11)

Camping permit for Boulderfield...01/19

Post by Steve Climber »

Has anyone had experience with getting a permit to overnight at Longs Boulderfield in January? I am hoping to stay a night up there this Saturday (01/19) but I haven't been able to get through to RMNP backcountry office. I've called them 15+ times over the past week but neither office is answering.

A few questions:
1) Anyone know a way to get ahold of them quickly as my hourglass is just about out of sand?
2) Is permit even necessary in January? (found info about permit fees in peak season, but not in off-season)
3) What are the chances of being caught and what is fine / consequence of dropping a tent without a permit if I can't get one in time? (I am REALLY hoping this would be a last resort and not come into play)

HELP!

Cheers,
Sam
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.
Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?
Cool Hand Luke
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 105
Trip Reports (6)

Re: Camping permit for Boulderfield...01/19

Post by Cool Hand Luke »

Permits are not needed until April at the earliest, no need to stop by the Backcountry Office beforehand.

You should have your choice of campsites.
Steve Climber
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Steve Climber »

Thanks for the info! Was just going off what I could find online.

RMNP.COM "Fee: $15 May through October. November to April-no fee, but permits are still required."
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.
kimo
14ers: 32  6 
13ers: 116 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kimo »

A permit is required year round, but during the winter it is free. You just fill it out, drop it in the box, and keep part of it to hang on your tent. There is a self service kiosk fifty feet beyond the Beaver Meadows drive-thru entrance gate. I’ve used it before. It’s on the right side next to the pullout. According to the RMNP website, self-serve permits can be found at the Long Peak Ranger Station too.

From the RMNP site:

You must have a backcountry permit to camp overnight in the backcountry of Rocky Mountain National Park.

You may obtain day-of-trip permits in person year‑round. There is a $20 administrative fee for permits during peak season periods (non-refundable and non-exchangeable).

During the winter and early spring, when the backcountry is not as frequently used, you may self-register at the Wild Basin Entrance, Longs Peak Ranger Station, Dunraven Trailhead, and Fall River and Beaver Meadows entrance stations.

October through May, campers may stay in the backcountry a maximum of 14 nights with no more than a total of 21 nights per year.
Carl
14ers: 58  58 
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Carl »

I called recently and was given the same info Kimo found on the site. Self-serve permits can be found at the Longs Peak trailhead. I can't confirm this since I came to my senses about how cold the boulderfield would be in winter and changed my mind.
Cool Hand Luke
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 105
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Cool Hand Luke »

Sorry about the incorrect permit info, I remember filling out a permit at the Longs Peak TH now. I believe the box is on the information kiosk between the parking lot and the Ranger station.

Having the Boulderfield to yourself is a cool experience; I was one weekend late on "winter" last year, but had favorable weather. The winds picked up in the night, but died down around dawn. If you have a bivy it is worth considering vs. a tent, allows you to stay below the line of the wind rock rings and avoid wind catching the top of a tent all night.
Steve Climber
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Steve Climber »

Thanks for the responses. I will look for the kiosk at TH. Having the BF to myself would be amazing(!), but I am assuming a long weekend with what looks to be spectacular conditions will reduce the chance of that happening. I am prepared for the cold as best I can be. I bought a bit of winter gear this year and have only been able to test it my yard so far (-5° was very comfortable though) and am looking forward to using it "in the wild". Headed to Patagonia in late May, so wanted to be prepared for potentially brutal conditions.