Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Anyone been up to St. Mary's Glacier lately?

Colorado 13er questions, conditions, and other info should be posted here. Also includes topics related to 13ers.com. 13er Trip Reports

Anyone been up to St. Mary's Glacier lately?

Postby Ramfan24 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:34 pm

Wondering if flotation is needed for a hike to James Peak this weekend.

Re: Anyone been up to St. Mary's Glacier lately?

Postby GregMiller » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:34 am

Also wondering about the conditions, wondering if there's enough snow to ski up and down.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

Postby moneymike » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:38 am

Ramfan24 wrote:Wondering if flotation is needed for a hike to James Peak this weekend.

It's mostly hard wind packed snow and sastrugi above the glacier, and below the glacier the trail is packed. The east side doesn't have nearly as much snow as the west side, but I did it on skis and was able to stay on snow from the trailhead to the summit and back. This was in late December, but I would guess the conditions now are similar.

Postby TeamDino5280 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:53 am

I was up there a week ago and there is consistent hard wind packed snow going all the way to the snow field in the glacier proper you would need traction more than floatation. We skinned up about half way then crossed over PT 11,716 to the south side and came down the gully just south of the steeper lake face. It was about 28 degrees where we came down and the snow was a 3-4 inch reactive wind slab on top of softer snow. There is a large cross loaded slope to hikers right on the glacier that most people are walking right under, I would avoid that. Also, on the roll over at the bottom of the glacier hikers left there is a large wind load I would avoid that too. here are some pictures

Bottom

Crossloaded slope with everyone walking under it

Mid way up

South gully looks way better then it was

Shitty windslab in the trees near anchor gulch
"Real adventure is defined best as a journey from which you may not come back alive, and certainly not as the same person."
- Yvon Chouinard
"I try to play by the mountain’s rules instead of mine."
- Lou Dawson

Postby powhound » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:47 pm

farcedude wrote:Also wondering about the conditions, wondering if there's enough snow to ski up and down.

It can't be any worse than this. :lol: My son and I were jonesing for some turns and went to St.Mary's last summer on July 31. The grungiest skiing I have ever done...it was a blast!
some people will ski anything.JPG
some people will ski anything.JPG (65.98 KiB) Viewed 246 times
dirtbag skier.jpg
dirtbag skier.jpg (77.04 KiB) Viewed 246 times