Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

if you see a bear, what would you do?

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: if you see a bear, what would you do?

Postby TallGrass » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:54 am

Alpine wrote:Looks like a cross between and elephant and a bear. Would that be a "bear-a-phant" or an "ele-bear"?
Pach-y-bearm?
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Re: if you see a bear, what would you do?

Postby theguydog14 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:24 am

I actually stumbled upon a decent size bear this summer while hiking back down from Snowmass near Aspen. I was with a group of friends but went ahead of them by probably 15 minutes so I was all alone. Walking fast and just thinking random thoughts that pop into my head when all of a sudden... I heard a noise to the right of me just off the trail and looked up. A cinnamon colored bear, once standing 10 feet to the right of me off the trail, started running in the opposite direction from me. I froze while I watched it do its bear thing, running like bears run until it stopped 30 or 40 yards from me. It turned around and stood up on its back legs and just watched me. I crouched down behind a bush and just watched it for a minute or two. Then, I continued to walk forward until I turned a corner and then I took off running for a good 3 or 4 minutes... haha Then I proceeded to tell fellow hikers to be aware.

Previous