Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Canyoneering/Exploration President's Day Weekend

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Canyoneering/Exploration President's Day Weekend

Postby Scott P » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:19 am

I'm looking for some interested people to explore a new technical canyon over Presidents Day Weekend. Just in case, it would be nice to have a rope gun with us. If interested, let me know.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Re: Canyoneering/Exploration President's Day Weekend

Postby I Man » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:21 am

What are the dates?? What area are you looking at? I could def be interested in this.
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

"I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.

Postby Scott P » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:27 am

February 15-18.

It's a hidden Canyon SW of the North Wash area and accessed from State Highway 276.

Postby kaiman » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:54 pm

Scott P wrote:February 15-18.

It's a hidden Canyon SW of the North Wash area and accessed from State Highway 276.

Hopefully the weather warms up for you folks by then. It's been barely getting up to the teens during the day here in Moab for the last couple weeks. Should be okay in that area as long as the temps warm up enough to melt the snow by then.
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; look well to each step; and from the beginning think what may be the end."

- Edward Whymper

Postby Scott P » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:12 pm

Should be okay in that area as long as the temps warm up enough to melt the snow by then.

Good point. Last report I had was that there was no snow in the North Wash to Bullfrog areas, though I guess that could have changed. The closest webcam is Bullfrog, which indicates no snow right now, but of course that could change.

If there is snow/ice around by then, I'd probably be a risky venture and I'd probably change the destination!

Postby Brian C » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:30 pm

Define ropegun. How hard might this be?
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth

Postby I Man » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:32 pm

Brian C wrote:Define ropegun.

Brian C.

"I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.

Postby Scott P » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:03 pm

Define ropegun.

---

Brian C.

+1. You are certainly a rope gun.

How hard might this be?

When exploring a new canyon, the difficulty is always unknown, but if I wasn't confident that I could get through, I wouldn't try it (and if I am fairly confident that I could get through than you wouldn't have a problem).

This particular canyon is in the Wingate Sandstone and typically canyons in the Wingate Sandstone aren't as potentially difficult as those in the ones in the Navajo.

In the same general area, the hardest known canyon is probably Sandthrax which goes at 5.10 C2. That canyon is in the Navajo Sandstone though, and the canyons in the Wingate tend to be easier (though the Navajo SS has plenty of easy canyons too).

I don't know of any Wingate SS canyons that require more than low to mid-5th class obstacles (with the possible exception of Choprock at high water-which is many miles from this area). More than likely, this one will be challenging, but not extreme as are the other Wingate SS canyons in the area, but if it’s a new canyon, there’s only one way to find out.

I hope I didn’t say too much without saying anything.

Postby I Man » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:27 pm

Scott P wrote:
In the same general area, the hardest known canyon is probably Sandthrax which goes at 5.10 C2. That canyon is in the Navajo Sandstone though, and the canyons in the Wingate tend to be easier (though the Navajo SS has plenty of easy canyons too).

Woah. 5.10 C2, eh? I didn't realize canyons got that hard as far as climbing up.

Postby Scott P » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:53 pm

Woah. 5.10 C2, eh? I didn't realize canyons got that hard as far as climbing up.

Some do, especially in the Navajo Sandstone in the Lake Powell and Escalante areas.

This is Sandthrax, the canyon in the area I was referring to:

http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/utah/north-wash/sandthrax/

Many in the Escalante or other area of Powell are even harder.

Sleepy Hollow, King Mesa area, Scorpion, etc. Bishop Canyon is certainly one of the hardest and took several tries over several years by expert climbers. I think only one party has made it through Bishop so far?

I think only Sleepy Hollow has online beta?

http://climb-utah.com/Escalante/sleepy.htm

Anyway, I do not expect the difficulty of this canyon to be in line with the ones pointed out above. It will still probably be a nice challenge, but most canyons in the Wingate Sandstone simply don't have those types of sections. Whenever doing a new canyon though, it's always good to have a tough climber or two along.

An example of a Wingate SS canyon is Neon (probably typical in difficulty for a Wingate Slot), though the stuff in the area to be visited during Presidents day.

Neon:

http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/images/stories/PDFs/Escalante/HoleInRock/Neon.pdf

http://climb-utah.com/Escalante/neon.htm

Other than the canyons in the eastern side of Escalante (such as Choprock), Wingate slots usually don't have the extreme obstacles.

Postby kaiman » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:40 pm

Scott P wrote:
Should be okay in that area as long as the temps warm up enough to melt the snow by then.

Good point. Last report I had was that there was no snow in the North Wash to Bullfrog areas, though I guess that could have changed. The closest webcam is Bullfrog, which indicates no snow right now, but of course that could change.

If there is snow/ice around by then, I'd probably be a risky venture and I'd probably change the destination!

You may be okay it's hard to tell. I haven't been that far south since October/November, but can tell you that the San Rafael Swell, northern part of Capital Reef/Escalante and Goblin Valley area all have snow and with temps as they have been it may be March before things dry out.

That being said, the North Wash area is pretty low elevation wise and most of the snow seems to go around it to the east and west so it could be dry. Guess you won't know until you get there!

kaiman
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; look well to each step; and from the beginning think what may be the end."

- Edward Whymper

Postby Scott P » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:09 pm

That being said, the North Wash area is pretty low elevation wise and most of the snow seems to go around it to the east and west so it could be dry. Guess you won't know until you get there!

After checking around, recent condition reports from North Wash say that the canyons are usually dry right now. The storms that hit the area farther north (Swell, Moab, etc.) must have missed the area. Even the canyons that usually have pools in them are dry (such as Morocco Canyon). Bullfrog hasn't had any precipitation at all since December 19. It's still too early to tell how it will be in Feb though.

Next