Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Yale 1/16

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Yale 1/16

Postby jakefox » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:44 am

Hey folks, seeing as the weather will likely improve in the next few days, a friend and I are going to head out to Denny Creek and try Yale on Wednesday. We'd probably step off around 0600. Always happy to have more company, so let me know if you're interested... Thanks!
"Artistic, n'est-ce pas?" --Ivan Karamazov

Re: Yale 1/16

Postby eskermo » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:24 am

I won't be able to make it due to work, but please report back with conditions! I want to take another stab at Yale this weekend after having to turn around last week. Best of luck and be safe out there.

Re: Yale 1/16

Postby shearmodulus » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:44 am

Please check my conditions report. I summitted on the 12th. In the Denny Creek valley, the trail is hardpacked. Somewhere around treeline, the trench deviates from the standard route to avoid some deep, deep drifts. Above the treeline is pretty windblown. As usual, the trail is easier to spot on the way down than up. If my tracks are still there, I would not recommend following my route down, as I bushwhacked through some seriously deep drifts when I wandered off the standard route.

Not sure how much snow the Sawatch range got this week, but considering that it's been super cold every day/night, I'm guessing that there will still be plenty of snow. Bring snowshoes for the portion near the treeline. You could make it with spikes (I did) but I was wishing I had adjusted my snowshoes to fit my new boots BEFORE I hit the trail. I'll get some pictures up tonight.
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads...."