Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

CUSTOMIZE the 14ers.com Home Page

Check here for updates to the forum and site.
Site Administrator

CUSTOMIZE the 14ers.com Home Page

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:54 pm

I've implemented some changes that allow you to change your home page settings if your browser allows Cookies. Initially, you can change the number of forum threads that display on the home page AND the option to specify whether you have a slow or fast Internet connection - this will cause larger versions of the random photos to be displayed on the home page.

Just click on the Display Settings link at the top of the home page to make the adjustments.

This is just a start. I plan on making tons of enhancements to the site that allow you to take advantage of a large screen resolution and a high-bandwidth Internet connection. More to come...
Last edited by BillMiddlebrook on Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"There's no recess and no rules in the school of life" - D. Mustaine

Postby MtHurd » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:11 pm

Cool! Works super fast now.

Postby Kojones » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:50 pm

Nice! Great features. Look forward to your additional enhancements!

Kojones
Climbing partner: "Is this uphill the whole way?"
Kojones: "No, only half the hike is uphill."

Postby alanb » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:57 pm

As always... a way cool addition to the site, Bill. I love the random display of pictures you added a while back so getting even bigger pics is great.

Thanks for all your hard work on the site...
"The mountains are calling, therefore I must go."
tweaked by me but originally John Muir

Postby FlyGirl » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:23 pm

Is this to cool or what?

You know what I think might be a nice feature. I bookmark a lot of threads for future reference such as gear recommendations, campsites, TH info on various other peaks than 14ers, etc. . . Do you think it would be beneficial at all to be able to save threads to your profile somehow? Just a thought.
Move like a heron, not like a water buffalo

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:03 pm

alanb: Thanks. Right now I'm still in the process of re-creating the larger images for most of those random home page pictures. There are about 60 and I should have the rest of them done tomorrow.

FlyGirl: I'm starting a list of things that can be customized and will take a look at further changes within the forum thread list that displays on the right side of the home page. Maybe there are a few different options I can provide.

For the home page, the goal is to allow each of us to maximize our browser display page. The next step will be to apply this throughout portions of the site.

Postby rlw49 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:42 pm

Any more improvements and I'll have to take a computer class. My computer skills suck. Still, an excellent site and I'll try and keep up.
Thanks Bill

Postby rollin » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:12 pm

Nice!!!!!

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:10 pm

There are currently 62 random photos that come up on the 14ers.com home page. If you ever want to view a Flash slideshow of the images, click on this link:
View a slideshow of all the photos displayed on the home page

OR

If you change your home page Display Settings to "High-Speed Connection", a link to the slideshow will be displayed at the bottom of the home page.

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:51 am

To provide more flexibility when printing routes, I've used the site Display Settings page to provide more customization. You can now specify if you want to resize the photos to optimize space (and ink). I also added an option to print (or not) the route profile and topo map.

Once you make the changes, they stay in a cookie for 180 days or until you clear your cookie cache in the browser. Check it out...

Site Display Settings

More to come...

Re: CUSTOMIZE the 14ers.com Home Page

Postby Wish I lived in CO » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:51 am

I take it that stacking the forum / TR's / Conditions has been permanently done away with in favor of tabbing them? My home page is now tabbed and do not see the option of stacking in the user preferences.

My preference had been to stack them instead of tabbing. No big deal if can only now tab, but in case I'm missing something I thought I'd ask.
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2

Site Administrator

Re: CUSTOMIZE the 14ers.com Home Page

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:02 pm

Next