Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Meeker/Longs: Sat 1/19

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Meeker/Longs: Sat 1/19

Postby geojed » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:30 pm

I'm planning on climbing Mt Meeker via the Iron Gates (Class 3 w/ knife edge), traversing to Longs Peak via Clarks Arrow(Class 3/4)/Homestretch and then descending via the Keyhole. (12.5mi and 5800' elev gain.) Meeker will be the main objective and the traverse to Long's will be evaluated based on conditions. The knife edge on Meeker, Clark's Arrow on the Loft and traversing the head of Keplinger's Couloir will be the most likely difficulties/"cruxes" of the day.

Anyone else interested?

Meeker and Longs.jpg
Meeker via Iron Gates and Longs via Clark's Arrow
Meeker and Longs.jpg (166.59 KiB) Viewed 585 times

Right now the weather forecast looks spectacular: Sunny, 25F and VERY light winds between 3-10mph. Hopefully that wind forecast will stay that way but I wouldn't be surprised if it went up. Aaron's recent TR http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=13223&cpgm=tripmain&ski=Include shows the keyhole route was pretty dry before the recent storm.

Not sure how much snow it's actually received recently but it's supposed to be really windy the next several days up there so any fresh snow that has fallen will be quite wind blown.

Here's some pictures from Natalie's recent climb of the cables route on Longs that shows Meeker and the Iron Gates and Loft to be pretty dry. These were taken before the recent storm though. Here's a link to the Picasa album. https://picasaweb.google.com/102104988315108330098/LongsPkCables01041202#
Looking towards the Keyhole (Natalie).

Let me know if you are interested.
Last edited by geojed on Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
• The best climber in the world is the one who’s having the most fun.— Alex Lowe
• Why do I climb the mountain? Because I'm in love! — The Captain

Re: Meeker/Longs: Sat 1/19

Postby nkan02 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:39 pm

Hey Jedi,

My only word of caution is the Homestretch. With some snow and ice it looked a bit sketchy (especially for the going down part).

Postby SarahT » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:47 pm

Keyhole Route was in great shape last Wednesday. No snowshoes needed. Microspikes between the Keyhole and summit got the job done (definitely want some sort of traction here). Trough was a little more obnoxious than the Homestretch due to some hard snow but I had crampons and never felt the need to use them. Pictures: http://www.13ergirl.com/Longs%20Peak%20via%20Keyhole/
Die Zeit ist unendlich lang und ein jeder Tag ein Gefäß, in das sich sehr viel eingießen lässt, wenn man es wirklich ausfüllen will.... Goethe
http://www.13ergirl.com/

Postby I Man » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:47 pm

nkan02 wrote:Hey Jedi,

My only word of caution is the Homestretch. With some snow and ice it looked a bit sketchy (especially for the going down part).

I agree with Nat. Downclimbing the homestretch in January is one of the sketchiest things I have ever done. It is slabby, with barely any holds and nowhere to get an axe placement. I think you got it, but expect sketch for sure.
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

"I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.

Postby geojed » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:48 pm

SarahT wrote:Keyhole Route was in great shape last Wednesday. No snowshoes needed. Microspikes between the Keyhole and summit got the job done (definitely want some sort of traction here). Trough was a little more obnoxious than the Homestretch due to some hard snow but I had crampons and never felt the need to use them. Pictures: http://www.13ergirl.com/Longs%20Peak%20via%20Keyhole/

Thanks for the beta Sarah and Natalie! =D>
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
• The best climber in the world is the one who’s having the most fun.— Alex Lowe

Postby forbins_mtn » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:46 pm

Any chance we rock this Monday? This weekend sucks for me.

Postby Steve Climber » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:23 pm

I'm liking the sound of this. PM sent.
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.

Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?

Postby Yikes » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:49 pm

interested; but slower than you, so i may need a 2 hr head start

Postby geojed » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:58 pm

From looking at the Longs Cam it appears it didn't get much snow from the last storm. Conditions are looking good! (FYI: This image will update everytime you load this page)