Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Where is the SNOW!!!

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Where is the SNOW!!!

Postby SolarAlex » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:34 pm

^^^ 2nd that i went to keystone today and other than the groomers it was in bad shape.

Postby atalarico » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:02 pm

Yep. Two dry years in a row is tough to weather (pun?). Granted I was lucky enough to be at Steamboat last year on the President's Day record dump, but that was one of 20 days out.

Sigh...we still have three months of what could be stellar snow...keep those fingers crossed and goats sacrificed to Ullr.

Postby ajkagy » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:42 pm

Been lightly snowing all day today, and it's COLD. The resort here is in decent shape, but the backcountry is where it's at right now, lots of nice turns to be had. The bright side is that stability is pretty good right now and some big lines will go down in the next week or so. Get out there and enjoy the sun this week and early next week.
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby ameristrat » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:19 pm

Was at Breck today - disappointing coverage on anything interesting, but the snow was nice and soft and nobody was there. Didn't wait in a line all day - perfect day for burning some groomers!
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal

Postby lordhelmut » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:27 am

Winter Park was solid all weekend. 6" reported saturday, low crowds due to Broncos game, softened things up nicely (-25 on panoramic lift, but they didn't open the lift till 10:30am, and guess where this guy just happened to be at 10:31am.......).

WP yesterday was still solid, but what made it even better was the fact that Mary Jane was literally a complete ghost town up until 10. It was so empty, they closed off 2 lanes of the Super Gauge. There were still numerous runs with soft snow that had been closed the day before, including a run that ran directly under the Zephyr Express. The trees around Pano were a pleasure, but some of the trees around Challenger were challenging. Outhouse was skiing very well and it seems they have thinned the trees to skier's right a tad. Gandy Dancer was getting kind of rough and Frenchman was a little frustrating, but all in all, Winter Park, relatively speaking, is skiing pretty damn well right now.

Postby ajkagy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:31 am

https://avalanche.state.co.us/acc/acc_report.php?accfm=rep&acc_id=480

2nd avy death of the season and I knew him through a friend. Just a bad situation all around. Please be ultra careful out there even with the avy danger only being moderate.
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby rijaca » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:38 am

I skied Purgatory (Durango Mt) on Thursday, Monarch on Friday, and Loveland on Sunday.

Monarch had the best snow of the three.

PS gotta love that Loveland Pass....
"Spent a little time on the mountain
Spent a little time on the hill"

Postby EatinHardtack » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:18 am

I was thinking of heading up to WP yesterday but couldn't get motivated. Glad to hear it's skiing good.

Looking at the snowpack report it does show the 'donut hole' that is looking in fine form for Summit County - - - - ftp://ftp-fc.sc.egov.usda.gov/CO/Snow/snow/state/monthly/snmap113.pdf
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Postby jmc5040 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:34 pm

Skied at Breck on Saturday and besides for finding some just opened runs off of Peak 10 the conditions were in my opinion poor. Groomers skied well, but the trees are extremely thin. Berthoud Pass was fun yesterday with enough fresh snow to soften things up. Ran a few laps down the Big Roll on the West Side. Coverage was for the most part good, with rockier areas easy to see and avoid.
"My senses become heightened and the stresses of life fade with each step I take further from civilization. When I'm in the wilderness my brain and body work seamlessly together to do their finest work - a single flowing track down one of natures high peaks." - Jeremy Jones

Postby dsunwall » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:48 pm

apparently Russia is getting it all.

http://rt.com/news/winter-snow-russia-weather-275/

Postby PaliKona » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:30 pm

Was out at Vail Friday and was pleasantly surprised by the conditions in the bowls and blue sky...much better than anticipated. Plenty of soft snow and even some fresh tracks. Way better than Summit County resorts...

Postby MuchosPixels » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:55 pm

PaliKona wrote:Was out at Vail Friday and was pleasantly surprised by the conditions in the bowls and blue sky...much better than anticipated. Plenty of soft snow and even some fresh tracks. Way better than Summit County resorts...

Where did you go? I was there 2 weeks ago and Blue Sky basin was absolutely obliterated. Overskied is an understatement. The Earl's Bowl side was just sun affected crud with some moguls, all chopped up but got softer in the afternoon. On the Pete's side it was pretty bad with Big Rock park full of small rocks (hit a bunch on the way down) and the funnel down to the lift being downright scary slick.

All of the back bowls were obliterated and getting quite thin in all aspects except the E-NE facing sides. So on the west sides of each bowl facing east coverage was ok. But snow quality was cut up crud all over with bumps.

Honestly I havent seen such snow destruction ever back there, it was nuts.

Yes at least the bowls were open during the holiday break unlike last year.

The frontside had good groomers. Best were Dealer's Choice on Game Creek Bowl and Northstar/Northwoods on the east side. Anything below say the bottom of the Avanti lift is pretty bad.

PreviousNext