Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

5.10 anasazi verde

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

5.10 anasazi verde

Postby pvnisher » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:55 am

How much does the Anasazi Verde stretch/break-in? It's a synthetic, so I'm assuming less than something notorious like the Mythos, but just looking for first-hand insight.
The size 10 fits great: some curl, no crimp. I'm not doing overhanging routes, and don't want to take the shoe on or off much (2-3 hours straight with them on).
I did a demo with a new pair for about 5 minutes and loved them. But I want to be sure they don't stretch too much.

Stick with the 10, or go down to 9.5 (or more?!!)?

Re: 5.10 anasazi verde

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:57 pm

pvnisher wrote:How much does the Anasazi Verde stretch/break-in? It's a synthetic, so I'm assuming less than something notorious like the Mythos, but just looking for first-hand insight.
The size 10 fits great: some curl, no crimp. I'm not doing overhanging routes, and don't want to take the shoe on or off much (2-3 hours straight with them on).
I did a demo with a new pair for about 5 minutes and loved them. But I want to be sure they don't stretch too much.

Stick with the 10, or go down to 9.5 (or more?!!)?

Tough call!

I do love my Anasazi Blanco's. They stick to everything. My fit is quite tight; probably tighter than you're looking for. I will say that they were painful at first. Here's a tip that really helped. I pulled the end laces tight (the last three or four at the toe-box) then shoved the foot in. Sounds counter-intuitive, but what this does is to hold the toes back from putting a death-squeeze on the toe tips, while allowing the rest of the foot to break in the shoe. I don't feel the shoe stretches per se, but what happens is it conforms better to the foot over the course of maybe two to six weeks. Once the rest of the foot breaks in the shoe, the toe issue is not as critical, and you end up with a nice snug fit.

It's too bad REI quit carrying 5.10, because if you get the fit wrong, you can exchange them. While shoe shape and technical capability vary, the 5.10's certainly have the stickiest rubber (C4 Stealth.) It works well on everything from granite to sandstone to limestone.

I'd take a guess and say that for what you're looking for, you're probably good if you tried them on and loved the fit. Should be perfect for a 2-3 hour shoe.

Re: 5.10 anasazi verde

Postby atalarico » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:59 pm

So the two shoes you refer to are apples and oranges. The mythos is an unlined leather shoe that notoriously stretches about a full size. Everyone who has owned them will tell you that, yourself included. Pretty much any synthetic shoe will barely stretch a quarter of a US shoe size. They break in and loosen up a little, but not near anything like a leather shoe.

The biggest thing to look out for with your synthetics is the stink! It's not you or your foot, synthetic climbing shoes just stink up a storm after a while of use. Just wash them more frequently so your climbing partners don't start avoiding you. =p