Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Where is the SNOW!!!

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Where is the SNOW!!!

Postby randalmartin » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:36 pm

I think the issue last year was more about the complete lack of big storms in March/April. So we saw a very early drop off in the snowpack. While we are running under the Mean so far this year, I think the key will be whether our Spring snows show up. Certainly from a water content standpoint, that's where we get the biggest contributions.

Postby Bean » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:44 pm

randalmartin wrote:I think the issue last year was more about the complete lack of big storms in March/April. So we saw a very early drop off in the snowpack. While we are running under the Mean so far this year, I think the key will be whether our Spring snows show up. Certainly from a water content standpoint, that's where we get the biggest contributions.

We're not just under the mean, we're 9% under last year and only 60% of normal. NOAA doesn't expect much to improve around here any time soon.

Best to stock up on respirators now, there'll probably be a run on them come springtime when the entire front range is on fire.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby RoanMtnMan » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:54 pm

Bean wrote:
Best to stock up on respirators now, there'll probably be a run on them come springtime when the entire front range is on fire.

Seriously, nothing funny about this statement. I have been clearing our property like a madman the last few months. I can't count the amount of bar oil, chains, and gas I have gone through. Still can't get a burn permit approved even with snow on the ground. I sure hope it's not a repeat of last year but it looks like that is where things are headed.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby Mark A Steiner » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:05 pm

randalmartin wrote:I think the issue last year was more about the complete lack of big storms in March/April. So we saw a very early drop off in the snowpack. While we are running under the Mean so far this year, I think the key will be whether our Spring snows show up. Certainly from a water content standpoint, that's where we get the biggest contributions.

Agreed. Still I wouldn't mind some substantial snows between now and March 1, just in case we have another repeat as was experienced in March/April last year. Although snow and cold aren't always contemporaneous, seeing this newly arriving cold outbreak accompanied by so little forecast snow is disheartening.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Good day.

Postby Scott P » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:00 pm

Snowpack in the mountains is low, but what's weird is that Craig area and the deserts are above normal. It's been snowing a lot here and officially there were 35 inches of snow that fell last month. Places like Moab and the others deserts have snow. Too bad more wouldn't fall in the mountains.

Our Utah neighbors to the west are doing fairly good so far:

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=149&sid=134181

There seems to be a line in western Colorado where the storms suddenly diminish to the east.

Wyoming is the same. Pretty good snowpack far west, quickly deminishing to the east:

http://www.wrds.uwyo.edu/wrds/nrcs/snowmap/snowmap.html

New Mexico is in bad shape statewide.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby PaliKona » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:13 pm

I am getting so discouraged by the lack of consistent snowfall ...we had a good pattern going in Dec. and now it's back to sun for a week or two, then flurries, then sunny and dry for another week. The ski areas are in terrible shape and this feels like a repeat of last year where we have a smoky hiking season to look forward to :(

Location: Little-Town; Front Ranger During the Week, Off Piste or close to it on the Weekends

Postby mtnbikir » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:58 pm

Quite a bit in the ski areas of Steamboat and Winter Park. Also up on Rabbit Ears (did the 1A loop last we). Next heading south to Monarch. Overall, picked pretty good areas to get passes to so far! Hopefully much more on the way everywhere.

Postby ak47 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:10 am

Coverage is good around monarch pass bc and wolf creek pass (obviously). Can't say the same for silverton and northern san juans (low tide). Berthoud and loveland passes are worse than I have ever experienced. I have been all over the state the past two weeks, monarch bc and wc bc are both well worth the trip.

Postby MuchosPixels » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:47 am

I skied around the Chicago Pass area with the Steamboat Powder Cats on Jan. 2nd and there was a good 50-60in base around the area. Definitely the most snow I have seen yet in Co. this season.

The snow had settled a bit but skiing was great.

Most resort skiing has been mediocre in Co. this year at best so I had to pay to play but it was worth it.

IMG_0870.jpg
IMG_0870.jpg (228.88 KiB) Viewed 570 times

IMG_1358-2.jpg
IMG_1358-2.jpg (252.99 KiB) Viewed 570 times

IMG_0619-2.jpg
IMG_0619-2.jpg (272.28 KiB) Viewed 570 times

Postby PaliKona » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:49 pm

Great pics..make me want to travel to get some good turns..

Any CB locals here? How's the mtn these days? Seems like storms are being kinder to you all.

Postby ajkagy » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:02 pm

PaliKona wrote:Great pics..make me want to travel to get some good turns..

Any CB locals here? How's the mtn these days? Seems like storms are being kinder to you all.

dust on crust at CB, ski area picked up maybe 3 inches. The backcountry fared much better with between 6-10 inches from the last storm. Looks dry for at least another week, no headwall or north face yet.
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby EatinHardtack » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:31 pm

Yeah, so went to an I70 resort today. It's very bad.

PreviousNext