Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Must hike 14ers and Colorado trail partners

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Must hike 14ers and Colorado trail partners

Postby swdishfishhoarder » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:13 pm

Hey y'all. I might be leaving the state at the end of this summer for school because I applied to both UC Denver and another college in Texas. If this is going to be my last summer in Colorado for who knows how long, I wanna make it count. So I have decided to hike the Colorado Trail. I would also like to hike a select number of 14ers as well (I still haven't hike Mt. Elbert). If anyone has suggestions of their "must hike 14ers" please let me know. I may only be able to hike 5-10 this summer in addition to the CT (too ambitious?). Last summer I hiked the following:
Pikes peak
Mt. Lindsay
DeCaliBron
Quandary
Belford and Oxford
Bierstadt
Sherman
Mt. of the Holy Cross

Also if anyone from this site would like to join me on the CT whether it be a section, a few sections, or the entire thing let me know. Send me a PM and we can coordinate.

I am an infantry veteran and am allowing myself 35 days to hike the trail averaging about 13 miles a day. This may be too much time but I want to allot myself more time than needed. If anyone has advice on hiking the CT, please let me know.

Thanks, Cory

Re: Must hike 14ers and Colorado trail partners

Postby TallGrass » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:59 pm

I'll give a plug for doing North Maroon as it looks like you'll otherwise miss a taste of the Elks. It's rock glacier and the CFI steps through the rock fields will be like Holy Cross in terms of difficulty and the top provides excellent views of the other Elks. Good trailhead restrooms, and a couple more places to snag water en route. Try and go on an uncrowded day (non-weekend?) to lessen the chance of rock being kicked down or get a good early start.
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby Jesse M » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:19 am

The Chicago Basin 14ers would be at the top of my list, anything in the San Juans would be worth the trip.

Postby ChrisinAZ » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:00 am

If you're comfortable with 3rd/4th class: Pyramid, Crestones, Wetterhorn, Chicago Basin, Sneffels SW ridge, Longs. Capitol if you feel prepared for it.

If you'd prefer to stick to easier but still great 14ers: Handies, Redcloud/Sunshine, Uncompahgre, Huron, Humboldt, and Yale are great options.
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."
— Jack Handy

Postby iquack08 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:22 am

My advice, replace the following:

Mt. Lindsay --> ok
DeCaliBron --> no b/c four dirt piles
Quandary --> no b/c crowded
Belford and Oxford --> ok
Bierstadt --> no b/c crowded
Sherman --> no b/c one dirt pile
Mt. of the Holy Cross --> yes

Postby pvnisher » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:50 am

Wetterhorn was pretty interesting and makes a good combo with Uncompahgre (either same day or next).

Sneffels had some of the prettiest views around, Yankee Boy Basin is really nice.

Chicago Basin is sweet.

Those basins aren't super easy to get to, not like daytrips from Denver, so they will take some more planning, but I think those two areas have been the best I've seen in CO.

Postby randalmartin » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:19 am

Cory, I am also looking at the possibility of doing some section hikes of the CT this year and would love to join up with someone on those, assuming you don't mind older company :wink:

Postby peter303 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:50 am

You have the experience to attempt Longs. It is about the same length as standard Holy Cross.
Longs has "class 3" sections, where you use hand-holds to move, something your other peaks didnt have.
Depending on how late the snowpack lasts, it may not be ice-free until well into July.
So I'd schedule it on a weekday in late July. Weekends are zoos.
Last edited by peter303 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Jim Davies » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:52 am

You could start with the "favorite" statistics here: http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/usrpeaksstat.php and filter by what you think you can climb. Capitol Peak might be too big a step up, but Crestone Needle might be a good choice. Wetterhorn is fun a spectacular, and not too technically difficult.
Longs is #1 by a large margin.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby Tornadoman » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:14 am

Wetterhorn (if you are ok with class 3), Uncompahgre, Sneffels (again need to be ok with class 2+/3), Humboldt, and Huron would all be at the top of my list!

Postby highpilgrim » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:51 am

Weminuche Wilderness.

The CT and CDT both lace the Weminuche and you can get days of solitude with myriad options for climbing. Much of the CDT is above 12000 feet for miles on end. Want fourteeners? Go over Columbine and do the Chi Basin group.

Look at anything in the Grenadiers.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Postby GeezerClimber » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:57 pm

I compiled a list of favorites posted by those who have climbed all 58. The top four: 1. Capitol, 2. Crestone Needle, 3. Longs 4, Pyramid. IMO, anywhere in the San Juans is worthwhile. Going to the Chicago basin might well be the ultimate Colorado climbing expedition.

Have fun,
Dave

Next