Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Breathable puffies? Polartec Alpha

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Breathable puffies? Polartec Alpha

Postby Dave B » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:25 pm

Just got an email from Polartec advertising their new breathable fabric that can be used for insulated jackets. My question, maybe naive, is: why can't synthetic insulation be used with standard breathable fabrics (e.g. fleece). I understand the problem with down needing a very tight weave of nylon to prevent loss of down, but why not synthetics?

Anyways, this fabric, if it acts as performs, could be a real game changer for those of us whom are perspirationally challenged.

Here is a video that gives absolutely no details about the fabric but sure makes you feel warm and fuzzy with inspiration music and dreams of ski mountaineering.

Bonus Question: can anyone ID the mountain range at 1:40? Sure is purty.

"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Re: Breathable puffies? Polartec Alpha

Postby dsunwall » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:45 pm

If you snoop around their web site you will find this, http://www.polartec.com/warmth/polartec-alpha/how-does-it-work.aspx ..... doesn't appear to be a down puffy.

Re: Breathable puffies? Polartec Alpha

Postby Dave B » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:19 pm

dsunwall wrote:If you snoop around their web site you will find this, http://www.polartec.com/warmth/polartec-alpha/how-does-it-work.aspx ..... doesn't appear to be a down puffy.

Thanks for the link, when I went to the Polartec page every link just seemed to redirect to the home page.

Anyways, that makes sense, it's more of a fabric/insulation combo instead of just a fabric that could be combined with another insuliation (e.g. Primaloft).
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad