Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

PSA: SteriPen Traveler for $25

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: PSA: SteriPen Traveler for $25

Postby MatB » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:03 pm

Thanks cruiser! I've been looking to pick up one of these guys for a while now (on the cheap).
"Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived,'"
- Dalai Lama, when asked about what surprises him the most about humanity

Postby TallGrass » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:31 pm

Nice deal but think I'll pass since
1. no reason to spend more when I still have a compact Sawyer and ClO2 to use up,
2. it will likely only get cheaper in the mean time,
3. would go with the SteriPen Freedom instead as I could recharge on the bike or at the TH via it's USB charge port (no batteries to buy/replace). Now if I didn't have a Sawyer... :-k As far as storing batteries separately, might be simpler to put a piece of plastic (shopping bag) over the battery contacts before closing the cap.
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby ihaveagps » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:43 pm

Thank you Cruiser for the info on the deal. I ordered one for myself. Im so happy to ditch those yucky iodine pills. =D> \:D/

Cheers!
Ihaveagps

Postby Dave B » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:40 am

Wow! My steripen was just delivered. Gotta love 23 hour delivery from STP!
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby Jay521 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:00 pm

Dave B wrote:Wow! My steripen was just delivered. Gotta love 23 hour delivery from STP!

Mine just got here, too! Amazing!
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down

Postby mike_kadow » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:39 pm

Jay521 wrote:
Dave B wrote:Wow! My steripen was just delivered. Gotta love 23 hour delivery from STP!

Mine just got here, too! Amazing!

Same here.

Thanks for the tip Cruise!

@davebks, my shipping was $2.95

Postby SuperiorTrailHiker » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:08 pm

TallGrass wrote:Nice deal but think I'll pass since
1. no reason to spend more when I still have a compact Sawyer and ClO2 to use up,

You like the Sawyer? I got one as a gift over the holidays, Sawyer All-In-One, and haven't used it yet. I've always used a Katadyn Hiker until now.

Postby mike_kadow » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:58 pm

Reading the manual now... had me thinking of the 'Winter Park Lawsuit' thread.

"Do not insert into bodily orifices." :wft:

Postby jsdratm » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:00 pm

mike_kadow wrote:Reading the manual now... had me thinking of the 'Winter Park Lawsuit' thread.

"Do not insert into bodily orifices." :wft:

lol, you could sunburn some sensitive areas. They make UV filters like these for aquariums as well, but I've never tried one. Supposedly they kill small parasites and algae that tend to cloud the water.

Postby TallGrass » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:32 am

SuperiorTrailHiker wrote:You like the Sawyer? I got one as a gift over the holidays, Sawyer All-In-One, and haven't used it yet. I've always used a Katadyn Hiker until now.
See the Water Purification and Water Filter Recommendations threads. SteriPen by itself doesn't get out floaties like sediment or biological debris (free fiber?). Turbulence of running water always kicks stuff up and still water allows things to swim around. I have a Sawyer Squeeze that came with two bags, tap attachment, and 5gal bucket stuff. It will NOT work on many water bottles (e.g. Evian, Aquafina) as the threads are different. What ever physical system you go with, most seem to pack a chemical back up (ClO2 tabs, AquaMira, I2) with ClO2 being so light and compact there's no reason IMHO not to toss a foil sheet in your pack or first aid kit. IIRC, ClO2 kills giardia in 30min, but Crypto (less common in CO) in 4hr. You do want to make sure a wet filter never gets below freezing.

ItsNotaTuba likes the AquaMira Frontier, which might seem competitive at $25 vs. $50 for Sawyer unless you consider that AquaMira lists its capacity at just 50gal (and then you...?) versus Sawyer which can be up to 1,000gal between backflushes depending on sediment, etc.

FYI, the CFI set up had four drip filters screwed into the bottom of a 5gal bucket (unfiltered) which lined up with holes in the lid of another bucket (filtered) which it sat on and had a tap at the bottom. They had two set up and a few 5gal jugs to fetch water from the "hose": a garden tap hooked to a hose that went up in elevation to a tiny creek where the other end was submerged (gravity flow).
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby chrismjx » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:57 pm

WTH? How come some of you got yours in <23hrs, but my tracking label was only just created today? (I ordered on 1/8) Grrrr..... :?

Postby mike_kadow » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:05 pm

chrismjx wrote:WTH? How come some of you got yours in <23hrs, but my tracking label was only just created today? (I ordered on 1/8) Grrrr..... :?

Not sure; mine took just under 48 hours (ordered 1/7). Pretty darn good if you ask me.

PreviousNext