Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Anybody up for something Sat 1/12?

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: Anybody up for something Sat 1/12?

Postby d_baker » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:14 pm

tommelch wrote:Please be smart. NOAA has issued a weather watch for Sawatch and Elk mountains. Two feet of snow possible with subzero temps and frostbite warnings.
Just remember....there is a fine line between adventure and stupidity :shock:

Which could make the Broncos game interesting if the Front Range is so lucky to get some of this forecasted weather! GO Broncos!

Postby jswiftcervelo » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:27 pm

I'm 90%. My transport is always messed up and this week my car situation is still not firm :? If I can get a ride out of Denver then I'm good to go. Getting my car situation resolved is the up in the air part (I'll likely have something to drive...)

So if thats resolved then yes I can commit. I'm fine with a 14er - we have a lot of choices (see previous post). jakefox suggested Yale and that's good for me as long as we start early enough to get to the top and back without missing the game... Hope nobody minds the dark.

Let me know if anyone can carpool and I'll be commited for sure.

Josh
Winter only :) Cycling only March-late October... Mountaineering = awesome cross-training

Postby jswiftcervelo » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:29 pm

Please be smart. NOAA has issued a weather watch for Sawatch and Elk mountains. Two feet of snow possible with subzero temps and frostbite warnings.
Just remember....there is a fine line between adventure and stupidity

Don't worry forbins_mtn and I already crossed that line this December 8) + we can always go for something with better-ish weather than the Sawatch/Elk.

Lincoln looks perfect with temps between 2 and -13...

But seriously - we will take the weather into account. I (and I'm pretty sure anyone else going) don't just venture out randomly and hope for the best. My general rule for being able to spend the night at worst case scenario still applies.

Josh
Winter only :) Cycling only March-late October... Mountaineering = awesome cross-training

Postby tommelch » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:45 pm

That's cool. just wanted to alert all who were considering.
Hope you guys, and girls , have a fun and safe climb!

Postby jswiftcervelo » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:53 pm

And thanks for giving a heads up - I've seen quite a few misguided adventures on this site and neither one of us wants to see another...

Postby forbins_mtn » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:14 pm

I definitely have my eye on the weather. But it does no good when you don't have plans and it turns out to be not that bad. Worst case scenario we have plans and have to scrap them. I'm fine with that.

My vote is Ox/Bel or La Plata. I could be talked into Sheridan, Fletcher or Elbert

I say we make tentative plans - this storm could be gnarly, but it's only Tuesday. You never know!

Postby jswiftcervelo » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:20 pm

I like Bel/Ox (already climbed LaPlata in winter). Lets go for that - We'll just play the weather by ear.

Also I have no idea how time consuming those are right now but we'll for sure have to start early to be at the bar by 230.

Postby jakefox » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:59 am

I'm in (although I'd prefer Yale). Did Belford last week but we had to bail on Ox. I'm down to take another shot at it. 0230 at which bar?

For what it's worth, we ditched snowshoes at the MO gulch trailhead last week and didn't regret it... Pretty quick summit but windy as hell.
"Artistic, n'est-ce pas?" --Ivan Karamazov

Postby BKS » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:38 am

I'd be in for Bel/Ox if it doesn't dump.

Postby jswiftcervelo » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:01 pm

Yeah - sounds good... forbins, BKS, and I all like those

I climbed them in November but I NEED my snowflakes \:D/

Postby forbins_mtn » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:13 pm

Keep me posted on any detail changes. Tomorrow is kind of brutal, so if someone sends me a PM I'll see it in my email

Postby SurfNTurf » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:48 am

I was planning on Bel/Ox tomorrow (Friday), but it seems Mother Nature decided to give me the middle finger. I'd still consider it for Saturday if the TH is accessible, which sounds kind of iffy to me. Depends on the snow totals I guess. Also considering Yale, Pikes, a few others. Saturday looks cold, but with calm wind it shouldn't be too bad.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

PreviousNext