Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

GoPro: Looking for field use tips/advice

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: GoPro: Looking for field use tips/advice

Postby weston19 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:34 am

GoPro video is both the greatest and worst thing in the past 10 years. In my opinion shoot tons of footage use very little. Change angles and styles frequently. Keep your videos short and interesting or make it a little longer and tell more of a story. If you can supplement your gopro footage with with other cameras even if its only a point and shoot video. Sometimes due to the wide angle of the gopro it will make things look less impressive as they get farther away, for example you are atop a 14er and want to get a shot of the other 14ers off in the distance, it will probably look better on a standard lens.

If you use just the gopro learn the time lapse feature and buy an Ikea egg timer(http://www.amazon.com/IKEA-20922-Ordning-Kitchen-Timer/dp/B002ZB4WUQ). Use a flat adhesive mount on the egg timer and now you have a 360 degree panning time lapse that fits in your pocket.

Summary:
-Shoot lots use very little
-Shoot as many angles and variations as possible
-Learn time lapse
-Experiment
-Learn even the most basic editing program... it will go along way
-Either tell a story or keep it short

Half way through this video I have a shot done with the egg timer time lapse(see video at :57 seconds).

Here is making hiking a little more interesting in Utah

And a little 14ers action on Sneffels from this past spring

Lastly some water from the cottage in Wisconsin
Take an arm chair adventure and travel with Weston & Dana!

www.travelwithwestonanddana.com

Or make your palms sweat

www.climbcolorado.wordpress.com

Postby its_not_a_tuba » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:43 am

Just be careful about what you choose as content worthy of being filmed. Don't be this guy:

http://www.wimp.com/goprocreated/
"Wilderness settles peace on the soul because it needs no help. It is beyond human contrivance." -- E.O. Wilson

Postby nicholasblee » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:00 am

Ah, I had always heard of the kitchen timer time lapse hack but never understood how it could work with an ordinary timer. Now seeing the Ikea one it makes much more sense. I'll have to get one of those.

Postby madbuck » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:10 am

Wow Weston, great videos and great suggestions.
You've got me inspired to think more creatively about camera angles and panning.

Postby RoanMtnMan » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:56 pm

Weston,

Nice examples of how the GoPro can be used. Really well done videos. Those angles and pans are much easier on the eye than what most people shoot.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby herdbull » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:49 pm

Cool vids and some great ideas. I already have a small handheld HD camcorder and the GoPro was an unexpected gift. These videos give a guy some good ideas and how to think outside the box. Me not really like boxes or coloring within the lines for that matter. And it just goes to show a little planning and set up time goes a long ways.

Postby Furthermore » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:18 pm

By no means do I know what I am doing (with filming) as these are my first 2 videos I made using the GoPro. I still have plenty to learn and got some great ideas from this forum.

Ancient Art

Chamber of the Basilisk Canyon.

Postby Patinator » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:18 am

I agree that getting a second battery is a good idea. Also consider a portable solar charger (I have used both the power monkey and orange joos effectively), extra memory cards and the small but tough pelican case for memory cards. I even took my go pro scuba diving and while not the greatest underwater, it gets the job done. I discovered some aftermarket add-ons that help with color filtering, but have not purchased them.

Just get out there and start experimenting with the different settings. It is a great product and you are going to have a lot of fun with it.

I haven't done any serious editing for a while, but there were mostly expensive software programs that help get rid of the fish eye effect when I did. Most are geared for Macs, but I am in a windows environment. I would be interested in knowing if anyone else has had luck getting rid of the fish eye.

Postby jrs1965 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:48 pm

Patinator wrote:I haven't done any serious editing for a while, but there were mostly expensive software programs that help get rid of the fish eye effect when I did. Most are geared for Macs, but I am in a windows environment. I would be interested in knowing if anyone else has had luck getting rid of the fish eye.

I use the TraxAx software for editing GoPro videos with my Windows PC. It works okay, my Loveland ski video posted earlier was edited using the software. The main reason I bought it was for the price. It was like $30 when I bought it a year or so ago. Current price is $39.87

As far as I know it does not have the ability to remove the fish eye effect...

http://www.trakax.com/software/pc/

Previous