Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

south mt elbert

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports

south mt elbert

Postby marianne » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:38 pm

Has anyone been up Elbert from the south lately? Conditions of the trailhead and the route would be nice to know.
Thanks

Re: south mt elbert

Postby dpage » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:48 pm

Conditions reports from 1/5/13
http://14ers.com/php14ers/peakstatus_entry.php?recnum=2014
Hope that helps.

Postby ChrisinAZ » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:36 pm

I didn't get a great look at the Black Cloud Trail route from the south, but what I could see of the steep slopes below the ridge showed a mixture of semi-bare slopes and maybe 4-6" of snow. Didn't see enough there to be a major avy concern.

The South Mt. Elbert Trail going up the east ridge is currently doable with no special equipment. Should stay that way this weekend unless a lot of snow falls.
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."
— Jack Handy

Postby shearmodulus » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:22 pm

Climbed it on 22 December. South TH was clear (could see the pavement). The road part of the trail was hardpacked snow but looked to be softening up at the end of the day, we used micro spikes on this section. Once we got into the trees on the singletrack, we switched to snowshoes to get the extra traction and climbing wire on the heel. There was a good trench all the way up to the treeline, and from there on out it was wind-swept and clear, switched back to spikes for the last 2,000 feet elevation gain.

We had contemplated camping at the north Elbert TH and doing both Elbert and Massive on a two-day trip but the road in to the TH was snow-covered and we were driving through tracks in the snow. With the weather coming in, I didn't like the prospects of driving out without chains (I have a huge 4x4 pickup) if the forecasted 12 inches were to drop on us.
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads...."

Postby Hoot » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:52 pm

Anyone make it up Elbert on the East Slopes trail via Twin Lakes in the past week? I'm assuming there's still a trench in the trees and a largely windswept ridge above tree line.

Postby Bethie » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:56 pm

Hey Hoot, The CMC group did not go up this past wkend.
Beth
"Wherever you go, there you are..."

Postby Hoot » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:27 pm

Bethie wrote:Hey Hoot, The CMC group did not go up this past wkend.

Yep. I got that report. :wink: Conditions sounded good last weekend. I'm just wondering if the route got much snow over the past few days.

Postby illusion7il » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:50 pm

Summited Mt. Elbert using East Slopes on Wednesday 1/9 via Lower South Mt Elbert trailhead. Anything should make it to lower TH, and 4WD needed to get to upper TH. Solid Bootpacked trail all the way. My buddy wore a pair of well ventilated Ascis running shoes and somehow his feet never got cold or wet. ***Not Recomended*** The High was 26 with a windchill factor of 0-10. Conditions may have changed with the tiny storm that rolled in late week.