Anyone climbing Elbert Sunday 1/6?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Colorado29
14ers: 58 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Anyone climbing Elbert Sunday 1/6?

Post by Colorado29 »

Hi guys,

There are two of us that would love to climb Elbert Sunday but don't have a vehicle that will get us to the trail head, and 20 miles is a bit much to hike! Is there anyone heading up there that we could bum a ride with just from where it hit's the dirt road? We'd be forever grateful. Please let me know! Thanks! :-D
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (20)

Re: Anyone climbing Elbert Sunday 1/6?

Post by Kiefer »

Wouldn't try it. Some folks from Louisana I've been talking to tried it last week. They got stuck. They had to get towed out. They were initially looking at a $750 tow bill but managed to get someone else to do it
for $350. Park at the lower 2wd TH and walk it. Longer distances in the winter are just part of what makes winter stuff more burdensome. Funny. I was thinking of hitting Elbert on Sunday actually. I drive a
lifted Wrangler & I won't drive it.
Colorado29 wrote:Hi guys,

There are two of us that would love to climb Elbert Sunday but don't have a vehicle that will get us to the trail head, and 20 miles is a bit much to hike! Is there anyone heading up there that we could bum a ride with just from where it hit's the dirt road? We'd be forever grateful. Please let me know! Thanks! :-D
Colorado29
14ers: 58 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Colorado29 »

Alrighty then! Thank you for the info! Someone posted on 12/30 that a suburu or better would make it!
sunny1
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 225 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by sunny1 »

Colorado29, the usual winter route on Elbert is the East Ridge, via the South Elbert TH.
The 2 WD parking is paved.
It's 12 mi r/t for Elbert from the 2WD lot.
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.
Elliot
14ers: 24  24  1 
13ers: 65 49 1
Trip Reports (23)

Post by Elliot »

If anyone makes up Elbert, pics of Massive southwest slopes would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks