Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Anyone climbing Elbert Sunday 1/6?

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports

Anyone climbing Elbert Sunday 1/6?

Postby Colorado29 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:25 am

Hi guys,

There are two of us that would love to climb Elbert Sunday but don't have a vehicle that will get us to the trail head, and 20 miles is a bit much to hike! Is there anyone heading up there that we could bum a ride with just from where it hit's the dirt road? We'd be forever grateful. Please let me know! Thanks! :-D

Re: Anyone climbing Elbert Sunday 1/6?

Postby Kiefer » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:21 am

Wouldn't try it. Some folks from Louisana I've been talking to tried it last week. They got stuck. They had to get towed out. They were initially looking at a $750 tow bill but managed to get someone else to do it
for $350. Park at the lower 2wd TH and walk it. Longer distances in the winter are just part of what makes winter stuff more burdensome. Funny. I was thinking of hitting Elbert on Sunday actually. I drive a
lifted Wrangler & I won't drive it.

Colorado29 wrote:Hi guys,

There are two of us that would love to climb Elbert Sunday but don't have a vehicle that will get us to the trail head, and 20 miles is a bit much to hike! Is there anyone heading up there that we could bum a ride with just from where it hit's the dirt road? We'd be forever grateful. Please let me know! Thanks! :-D
"Wisdom comes from making mistakes.
Experience, is the knowledge of knowing what to do when one makes a mistake and wisdom,
stems from the changes we go through while learning from those mistakes."

Postby Colorado29 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:11 am

Alrighty then! Thank you for the info! Someone posted on 12/30 that a suburu or better would make it!

Postby sunny1 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:39 am

Colorado29, the usual winter route on Elbert is the East Ridge, via the South Elbert TH.
The 2 WD parking is paved.
It's 12 mi r/t for Elbert from the 2WD lot.
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.

Postby Elliot » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:17 pm

If anyone makes up Elbert, pics of Massive southwest slopes would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks