Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

TOPO! GPS Files on Route Pages

Check here for updates to the forum and site.
Site Administrator

TOPO! GPS Files on Route Pages

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:33 pm

Finally, I will be adding National Geographic TOPO! GPS data files to the 14er route pages in the 14ers.com Online Guidebook. For consistency, the data in each file will be compiled solely from my personal GPS tracking on the route. For areas where there was GPS signal "drift," I've cleaned up the route line a bit. If you have TOPO!, you can download a file and turn the route line into a "GPS Route" which adds waypoints. After applying your changes, etc., it can then be uploaded to your GPS for navigation.

Click on a route and look for the "TOPO! GPS File:" link just under "Last Updated" in the stats box at the top of the route. Samples:
Grays Peak
Quandary Peak
Mt. Elbert
Capitol Peak
Maroon Peak
Pikes Peak

I will update this thread as I get more ".tpo" files out on the route pages.

Notes:
1.) Warning! These GPS files have been provided by 14ers.com to assist with navigation. They are not intended to be used as a sole method for navigation and may include imperfections due to GPS "drift" or coverage issues when the original GPS tracking was performed. Use with caution and always utilize multiple navigation methods (including paper maps) and be aware of your surroundings.
2.) To use the data files, you must own the TOPO! software from National Geographic. More information about this product can be found here.
3.) These files were created in TOPO! version 4 and may not be compatible with some earlier versions of TOPO!.
4.) For each file, I've included the single route for that page. This has been done to provide clarity for that specific route and eliminate all other routes and labels. At some point I'll add a single (master) copy for all of the 14ers.

And thanks to CO Native for reminding me that these file would be helpful on the route pages. Sometimes I think I should create a to-do list!
Last edited by BillMiddlebrook on Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby mtnmike » Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:36 pm

Bill, this one's gonna be hard to top! Once again a superlative addition to a constantly improving site!! You should get an award for all your hard work, sir!
mtnMike
http://www.fourteeners.org

"Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." - Ed Viesturs

Postby mthiatt38 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:40 pm

In case you haven't already, you should probably put that disclaimer on every single route page. I don't want to see this place get sued.

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:40 pm

Yup, the disclaimer will be in each .tpo file and is on the route itself. People have to just use this feature as another tool in the navigation toolbox. It would be foolish for someone to download a file from anywhere and rely entirely on the contents for navigation.

It's always recommended to carry multiple navigation tools with us at all times. A GPS is great, but a knowledge of basic navigation is key.
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby CO Native » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:55 pm

One nice thing is at least the Garmin GPSRs display a similar sort of warning when powering up.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com

Postby JimR » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:15 pm

Now if I just knew how to use TOPO! files. Oh well, I guess I'll learn if I win this year's GPS giveaway.
I have more age than experience, more experience than knowledge, and more knowledge than wisdom.
Yet somehow I usually make it back to the car safely; and oftentimes, so do the people that I'm with.

Postby CO Native » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:48 am

First key to using a TOPO file is to own the National Geographic TOPO! program (preferably for Colorado with these files). After that you can create routes to load into your GPS. These can be especially handy in the winter when trails can be hard to follow.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com

Postby swturner » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:49 pm

Damn! Now I'm going to have to win that GPS next week so I can use this feature! :D
"It ain't no sin to be glad you're alive."--Bruce Springsteen