Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Climbing skins for 14ers?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Climbing skins for 14ers?

Postby GregMiller » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:32 pm

RoanMtnMan wrote:GEARX.com had some BD skin blems on sale not too long ago.

Sweet, thanks! They do still have them, but for the STS they only have them in 80 mm. However, they have the STD (rather a poor name choice, in my opinion)(these are the ones without the tail attachment) in 110 and 125 for $111.97, and an STS Tail kit is only $14.97 from them... I like it! I figure I'll just order the STD skins for now (especially since my skis have enough rise at the tail that it should keep them out of trouble, and if I ever find that it's a problem I'll get one of the kits and mod the skins. Thanks!

http://gearx.com/black-diamond-ascension-nylon-sts-skins-blem-121062.html
http://gearx.com/black-diamond-ascension-nylon-std-blem.html
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

Postby Carl » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:42 pm

No tail attachment might be fine for peak skiing since the skins aren't being taken off and on, but if you're doing laps somewhere that could be a problem when you inevitably get some snow on the skins and they're not sticking as well.

Postby GregMiller » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:00 pm

Oops, nevermind, just found a pair of last year's STS skins on departmentofgoods.com for $87.97. It said they were the last ones on there, but they're still there, so if you're looking for skins, might give them a look.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Langston Hughes

Postby GregMiller » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:24 pm

Carl wrote:No tail attachment might be fine for peak skiing since the skins aren't being taken off and on, but if you're doing laps somewhere that could be a problem when you inevitably get some snow on the skins and they're not sticking as well.

Also, you could probably do something like what's described here:
http://www.wildsnow.com/tips/skin_tail_fix.html
Still Here
Langston Hughes

Postby RoanMtnMan » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:06 pm

farcedude wrote:Also, you could probably do something like what's described here:
http://www.wildsnow.com/tips/skin_tail_fix.html

This actually works well. You can throw it around the heel piece of a Dynafit easily. I was skiing with a Wildsnow associate last weekend that had this rig rocking without issues. The hardware is a good thing to carry in a repair kit for longer trips. Light, easy to install, and it gets the job done in a pinch.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby SchralpTheGnar » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:53 pm

I did the dawson's rat tail on a pair of old school ascensions back in 1999 with a small pan head screw, worked great, then bought the clipfix which was good, now i'm skiing G3's which has a decent tail clip that I augmented with some shock cord that I loop to the back of my freerides. Regardless of the setup, it still takes me far too long to climb to the top of any peak.

Postby Dave B » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:12 am

Old thread resurrection...

I just got new skis = new skins.

I'd just assumed I'd get BD ascensions again, but now looking online it seems the options are greater than the last time I bought skins four years ago.

Does anyone have experience with the climbing skins direct skins? There was a thread on TGR about it but it was difficult to gleam anything useful amidst the typical TGR shenanigans, dick waving and general assholery.

Also curious if anyone has 2-3 years on the BD Mohair Mix skins and could speak to their durability and grip versus Ascensions as the increased glide and decreased bulk and weight would be welcomed if uphill travel wasn't sacrificed.

Thanks.
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby Oman » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:42 am

Are the Mohair Mix skins black? If so, then I've been on mine for about three seasons, and they're still going strong. I had (orange) Ascensions before that. I bought the black skins cheap off SAC.com, and only vaguely remember that they had some mohair in them.

I don't notice any significant performance difference between the black skins and orange skins. The black skins are thinner and more flexible, which makes them easier to stuff into a pack, and, I'm guessing, faster to dry. Probably also makes them a little more fragile, but any skins that go three seasons and counting are pretty tough to me.

Postby jmanner » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:51 am

Oman wrote:Are the Mohair Mix skins black? If so, then I've been on mine for about three seasons, and they're still going strong. I had (orange) Ascensions before that. I bought the black skins cheap off SAC.com, and only vaguely remember that they had some mohair in them.

I don't notice any significant performance difference between the black skins and orange skins. The black skins are thinner and more flexible, which makes them easier to stuff into a pack, and, I'm guessing, faster to dry. Probably also makes them a little more fragile, but any skins that go three seasons and counting are pretty tough to me.

I really like my three season-old orange Ascensions... Glue is losing viscosity but aside from that they are still working great. However, I should note that I forget them in my truck almost every weekend...
A man has got to know his limitations.-Dr. Jonathan Hemlock or Harry Callahan or something F' it: http://youtu.be/lpzqQst-Sg8

Postby Dave B » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:52 am

Oman wrote:Are the Mohair Mix skins black? If so, then I've been on mine for about three seasons, and they're still going strong.

Yes, the Mohair Mix are black, but with lighter grey illustrations (at least the 2013-2014 models). I think the pure Mohair are all black, even lighter than the mix and with better glide (i.e. they're more of a delicate racing skin). I think the Mohair mix are supposed to be a compromise or hybrid between the burlyness of the nylon ascensions and lightness and glide of the pure mohair.

Whichever you have though, good to hear on the durability. I'm starting to think more in the mohair mix direction...
Last edited by Dave B on Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Dave B » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:57 am

jmanner wrote:Glue is losing viscosity but aside from that they are still working great. However, I should note that I forget them in my truck almost every weekend...

I've had the same issue with my 4-year old ascensions. Grip is still great but glue is all but gone. I also have to renew the DWR about once every 4 trips or they glop like crazy. My wifes g3's have almost gotten stickier with age, too much so actually. I've taken to wearing gloves when putting her skins on, hanging them to dry or storing them, otherwise...

Postby nkan02 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:53 am

I have had Glidelite Mohair skins (all black) for a season and a half. They still grip great, but glue is starting to go, unfortunately. It has become a problem on longer hut trips with uphill and downhill, when I had to take skins on and off. They freeze and glue doesn't stick. On the traverse between Harry Gates and Peter Estin I had to warm them up inside my jacket so I can make it to the hut - they kept coming off. I took the fabric strip on the bottom off to see if it helps with the glue. Is there a way to reglue them? Other than that, I really like them - they are light, grip very very well, and glide nicely on the downhill.
Last edited by nkan02 on Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext