Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

I-70 Twin Tunnels Construction

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Re: I-70 Twin Tunnels Construction

Postby GregMiller » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:31 pm

gdthomas wrote:For those of you who travel I-70. The animations are informative.

That they are, certainly explains what they've been working on over on the other side of Clear Creek there. Thanks!
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

Postby winmag4582001 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:23 pm

So instead of two people running 30mph side by side on wet pavement, we'll have three. That'll be an improvement.
"Remember, you're unique, just like everybody else."-Joel Bernardini

Postby RoanMtnMan » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:35 pm

I have never been able to pin point why traffic always slows down at that spot. My theory is an undiagnosed tunnel fear epidemic. So I am not sure all this work is going improve things. It seems like it would be a lot easier to just blow up that whole hillside or permanently build around it, and get rid of the tunnels all together. Then you eliminate tunnel fear.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby Carl » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:47 pm

RoanMtnMan wrote:I have never been able to pin point why traffic always slows down at that spot. My theory is an undiagnosed tunnel fear epidemic.

Maybe folks are slowing down so they can focus on honking at last 3 times as they pass through the tunnel.

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:52 pm

Carl wrote:
RoanMtnMan wrote:I have never been able to pin point why traffic always slows down at that spot. My theory is an undiagnosed tunnel fear epidemic.

Maybe folks are slowing down so they can focus on honking at last 3 times as they pass through the tunnel.

I always thought it was one loooong honk through the tunnel? :?
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby dubsho3000 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:04 pm

BillMiddlebrook wrote:
Carl wrote:

I always thought it was one loooong honk through the tunnel? :?

I just always hold my breath - at Eisenhower too. Is that safe???

Postby PaliKona » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:57 pm

That detour next summer is going to be a freaking mess during busy times...two lanes, lots of sharp curves = s**t show

Postby Jim Davies » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:19 pm

A year or two ago, they had a variable message sign that said "Slow Down" just before the eastbound tunnel entrance. Even when traffic was going 5 mph. :wft:
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby TallGrass » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:33 pm

Nice and clean on the east side and then, joy, going downhill on interstate in the snow... on a motorcycle. ... oops, wrong tunnels (sic Davies). Never had any issues traffic or otherwise with any others on I-70.
Last edited by TallGrass on Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby Jim Davies » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:51 pm

TallGrass wrote:Nice and clean on the east side and then, joy, going downhill on interstate in the snow... on a motorcycle.

This project isn't at the Eisenhower Tunnel, but the two parallel tunnels just east of Idaho Springs and west of Floyd Hill.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby Mark A Steiner » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:56 pm

RoanMtnMan wrote:I have never been able to pin point why traffic always slows down at that spot. My theory is an undiagnosed tunnel fear epidemic. So I am not sure all this work is going improve things. It seems like it would be a lot easier to just blow up that whole hillside or permanently build around it, and get rid of the tunnels all together. Then you eliminate tunnel fear.

Darn. Then CDOT will have to face eventual rockfall mitigation.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Good day.

Next